Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turns out I have a leaking front fork seal, so I am going to replace both of them. Any input on going with Honda OEM or AllBalls? Best place to get either? I will also be dropping in my progressive springs in at the same time. So, anyone know where to get the two Honda tools I will need for both these jobs? Looks like I need a special Honda wrench and a special Honda tool to seat the seals? Any input is always appreciated.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I just did my seals , and steering bearings. I didnt use any special tools. It would of been nice to have a torque wrench . But it worked out. I was advised on using oem seals by different people. Cheap, it cost 25$ a side . Seal and dust cover from bikebandit. They also had allballs bearings for steering stem. Total cost was 93$.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it hard to do the steering bearings? I have an 04 1800c w/ 8000 miles. Do I need to worry about it yet?

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
You won't need to replace the bearings on the 1800. It already has the tapered bearings. The 1300's have the crappy stock bearings. It will need a slight adjustment from time to time.
So unless they're worn out (which I doubt) then you're good.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The only special tool you need to do the forks is the fork nut tool. You can make your own seal driver. http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/handy-motorcycle-tools/#sealdriver I'd send you mine, but it's already loaned out. The forks aren't hard to do, just download the service manual if you haven't already. It's mostly just time consuming to disassemble/reassemble the front end. Be sure and use tape on the tube when you install the new seals or you will tear them. an extra set of hands is also very useful when doing this.

You shouldn't need to do the steering bearings unless you're having problems. I had to do mine recently, but most haven't. The 1800s have tapered roller bearings. It's the 1300s with the ball bearings that usually go bad and cause the wobble.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Oh, and if you do get the oem seals, there will be a piece of paper in the package that says install with numbers facing up. That is incorrect. Install them so that the numbers are facing down/out. You should be able to see them after install. Those seals are used on a lot of different bikes, but ours have the inverted forks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll let you all know how it goes. Just bought the bike a couple months ago and trying to get all the maintenance out of the way before my trip to SD in June.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
The fork spring covers for the 1800's are different than for the 1300's. You don't need any special tools for changing the 1300 springs but you do need a special tool for changing one of the 1800's springs. I don't know which side requires this special tool nor why it is necessary since I've never seen an 1800 spring cover removed.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh, and if you do get the oem seals, there will be a piece of paper in the package that says install with numbers facing up. That is incorrect. Install them so that the numbers are facing down/out. You should be able to see them after install. Those seals are used on a lot of different bikes, but ours have the inverted forks.
Are you sure about being able to see the dots on the seals?I'm just hesitant to not follow the manual.I installed a set of seals according to the instructions and they leaked.Ijust assumed I had nicked them.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Are you sure about being able to see the dots on the seals?I'm just hesitant to not follow the manual.I installed a set of seals according to the instructions and they leaked.Ijust assumed I had nicked them.
Both sides leak?? Bareasschoppers has a video on the seals, it’s easy to nick them but I wouldn’t see both getting nicked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts