Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order a H.I.D. kit and need to know how hot a light (6000k, 8000k or what?) to order for maximum light and range. No I don't care about pretty colors, just being able to see better (I be gitten old an I don't be seein' as good at night).

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I can't hlep much but from what I've read, the higher number will give it more of a blue tint. From what I can tell, the 6k is about as high as you can go before the light starts bluing. I may be wrong though so I'm going to follow this thread so I can learn.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I need to know is how hot (3200k, 6000k, 8000k, 10000k?) to go for best long range night vision. I don't really care what color the light, just need to see better at night. In the last year my night vision has dropped off. I just want to see as far out in front as a H.I.D. light will go. Idiots and deer are in abundance here!

Here's a link which will show you what each color looks like. So far as I can tell there is no difference in the amount of illumination. I'm planning to buy the 6000.

http://www.xenonlink.com/H4+Hi%252F...+HB2)+Hi%252FLo+8000K+Motorcycle+HID+Kit.html
Someone here posted about the best color for long range vision a while back, but for the life of me I can't find it or remember which one he said. I think it was the 6000k or 4300k but I'm not sure. In the summer time I often travel on the highway at night to avoid traffic and the HEAT. I would like to avoid deer, potholes, and chunks of truck tire as well.

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
4300k is the brightness but most places only have 6k its just slightly bluish with the 6k

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only difference is the hue And spectrum of the beam. The hid Bubs are identicle other than that. Certain colors may appear like they do not travel as far but your talking purple and yellow. I've had 8000k in my last two vehicles and just installed a 8000k kit in my 08 1800n. I like 8000k BC it is a very clean color, not to blue, but not stock looking. It comes down to personal preference but I would recommend 8000k or 10000k. Search hid if you want to see pics of my kit.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
4,100-4,300 Kelvin 'is' the brightest.

There are no bulbs that output higher K's than that. The HID systems use lenses or additional components to filter out part of the white light to get the other colors... anything other than white light has been diminished and does not output the same amount of lumens. Looks cool, but is not as bright.

Here's a good list of temps and approximate lumens... this may not be exact to the kit 'you' end up with, but gives you an idea of the ratio of loss.

http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24

Mort

The only difference is the hue And spectrum of the beam. The hid Bubs are identicle other than that. Certain colors may appear like they do not travel as far but your talking purple and yellow. I've had 8000k in my last two vehicles and just installed a 8000k kit in my 08 1800n. I like 8000k BC it is a very clean color, not to blue, but not stock looking. It comes down to personal preference but I would recommend 8000k or 10000k. Search hid if you want to see pics of my kit.

If he wants maximum available range... then the brightest color will accomplish that... if he's willing to sacrifice even the smallest amount, then other colors would be a consideration, but that wasn't what he was requesting really.

Mort

Reactions: Good Old Rebel

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4,100-4,300 Kelvin 'is' the brightest.

There are no bulbs that output higher K's than that. The HID systems use lenses or additional components to filter out part of the white light to get the other colors... anything other than white light has been diminished and does not output the same amount of lumens. Looks cool, but is not as bright.

Here's a good list of temps and approximate lumens... this may not be exact to the kit 'you' end up with, but gives you an idea of the ratio of loss.

http://www.manyadeal.com/page.html?id=24

Mort

If he wants maximum available range... then the brightest color will accomplish that... if he's willing to sacrifice even the smallest amount, then other colors would be a consideration, but that wasn't what he was requesting really.

Mort
Once again Mort, you have cut to the heart of the matter! Thats what I wanted to know. I knew that as you move up the spectrum, more light would be in the UV and not usable to the human eye (mine). Just wasn't sure where visible light peaked among the choices for bulbs. You, Sir, Are DA MAN!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I went with 8000K - at 55W.
With the wattage that high it tends to wash out most of the color and you end up with an intensely bright white light.
Have had them on the wife's truck for a LONG time and love them, so when it came time to do the bike - went with the same.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
I went with 8000K - at 55W.
With the wattage that high it tends to wash out most of the color and you end up with an intensely bright white light.
Have had them on the wife's truck for a LONG time and love them, so when it came time to do the bike - went with the same.

Great additional point. Most of the HIDs I've seen and the one I am presently using are 35W. I can only imagine what the lumens would be for my HID were it able to handle an additional 20W.

Mort

Thanks Rebel, kind of ya.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
So going by what I read on the link posted by Mort; even though the 4300 is not the "white-est" and does not have a bluish tint, it gives the most illumination. I'm glad to have read this/followed it as I also have a lot of troubles with my night vision and have been wanting to get an HID kit. I'm assuming the 41-43 is brightest regardless of brand.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Duck Down

I agree about ddmtuning, that is where I got mine last December. I have the 6000 and love it. By the way 48 is young to some of us on the site.:choppersm

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have 6000 in my truck and I have talked to a lot of people that have others and everyone has said the 6000 is the best one to get as far as seeing at night because if you go any higher the light gets pretty blue and you wont be able to see anything at night

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I,ve got the 6000. If I had it to do over I would get the 4500. The 6000 has enough blue in it to start decreasing the light output.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have 6000 in my truck and I have talked to a lot of people that have others and everyone has said the 6000 is the best one to get as far as seeing at night because if you go any higher the light gets pretty blue and you wont be able to see anything at night
I run a 55W/8000K system in my bike and a duel 55W/8000K system in the wife's vehicle and even on the low-beams it lights up the night like you wouldn't believe.
AGAIN - at 55W, 8000K most of the 'blue' is gone, leaving you with a very intense Bright light.

I've tried both 6000K and 8000K at 55W - the 8000K bulbs work Just Fine! Color range won't really become an issue until you start going above 8000K

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
I run a 55W/8000K system in my bike and a duel 55W/8000K system in the wife's vehicle and even on the low-beams it lights up the night like you wouldn't believe.
AGAIN - at 55W, 8000K most of the 'blue' is gone, leaving you with a very intense Bright light.

I've tried both 6000K and 8000K at 55W - the 8000K bulbs work Just Fine! Color range won't really become an issue until you start going above 8000K

I have to agree with you. While the blueing 'is' there with an 8K, it is still a very very bright light... especially with a 55W kit. I'm running a cheap 35W kit and it's plenty bright with an 8K.

Again, to 'maximize' to the most optimal potential, there is a pretty set band of what to get. If you're understanding a certain 'range' of options is still VERY VERY bright... then I think the 4.5K-8K range is still playable without sacrificing very much... beyond that... it begins to become noticeable.

Mort:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts