Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300 R
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 6000 miles on my Dunlop tires but not sure how old they are. If they are the originals (2006) then should I change them? How do you tell how old the tires are? They look fine but worry that they are the original tires and even though the mileage is low, the age is high. Also what tire brand do you recommend?

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
23 Posts
Got 6000 miles on my Dunlop tires but not sure how old they are. If they are the originals (2006) then should I change them? How do you tell how old the tires are? They look fine but worry that they are the original tires and even though the mileage is low, the age is high. Also what tire brand do you recommend?
There is a 4 digit number at the end of the DOT code on the tire. It will say DOT then have some specifications, with the date code at the end. The first two digits are the week, and second two are the year. Their shelf life is usually considered to be no more than 10 years at the most. Dunlop's are good tires. I went with a Shinko Tour Master to replace my rear tire, since they were already on the bike and it seemed to ride just fine. They are a budget tire and I have read mixed reviews about them, but so far I have not had any problems, other than the rear only has 5000 miles on it and looks like it is ready for a change.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Sometimes the tire date code is a standalone 4-digit number located inside a raised oval on the sidewall.

Reactions: darrenbashby

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is a 4 digit number at the end of the DOT code on the tire. It will say DOT then have some specifications, with the date code at the end. The first two digits are the week, and second two are the year. Their shelf life is usually considered to be no more than 10 years at the most. Dunlop's are good tires. I went with a Shinko Tour Master to replace my rear tire, since they were already on the bike and it seemed to ride just fine. They are a budget tire and I have read mixed reviews about them, but so far I have not had any problems, other than the rear only has 5000 miles on it and looks like it is ready for a change.
I also had to change my rear Shinko Tour Master after 5000 miles. No other issues with the tire . But 5000 miles is probably the milage you get out of this tire.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I changed my tires because while there was plenty of tread, there was also spider web-like crackling on the sidewalls. Went with Michelin Commander 2 tires. I have 2500 miles on them and I'm happy with them so far.

·
Registered
18,086 Posts
As to the original question, it's whatever you can find with the world-wide rubber/ tire shortage. And yes, with darkside, you'll get easily 25-30K out of a tire that is half the cost of a MC tire and will out-traction and out-brake a MC tire in wet-or-dry conditions.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
I just put new rubber on my bike (not a VTX) and a pair of Metzler ME888 were slightly over $500. On the positive side, I ordered them online from Rocky Mt. ATV at 5:55 p.m. on Tuesday night and they were at my door by noon the next day - <18 hrs from clicking the buy button to delivery. Is this a great country or what :)

I took the wheels/old tires off the bike myself and took them and the new tires to a local dealer and got them mounted today (another $100 - used to be only $60 as recently at 3 years ago) and will install the wheels back on the bike tomorrow. At ~$50 per tire, maybe I should rethink doing it myself and buy the device to do so.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
735 Posts
I was a bit disappointed in my Metzlers. I want to say 6-7k miles before needing replaced. I am on Shinkos now. They are a much harder compound but appear to be wearing really well with 4k miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts