Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '03 1800C. I love the ride but the fuel economy SUCKS. It has 10,000 miles on it, V&H pipes, power commander and a Hypercharger Pro. If you really, really baby it ( HORRIBLY DIFFICULT ), I have got a best of 28 MPG, 26 is more typical.
Can this bike be tuned for better economy ?
I did recieve the usb cable with the tuner but did not recieve any paperwork on how to use it . Any advice with downloading another tune would be appreciated greatly.

Also, I will soon be needing tires. What is a good tire with a resonable price ?

·
F rider
720 Posts
My 1800 came with a cobra fi2000 on it. I was getting mileage like you and got on here are found out that it was set way to high and dumping to much gas in the bike. I turned it way down to almost stock (since my bike is stock otherwise), and now with normal riding i get about 35 mpg, and if I baby it, I have gotten as good as 40. Also seemed to actually have more power. If I had to guess, your running way to rich and need your tune changed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive got an 02 1800C has V&H bigshots, power commander and K&N was the same way I disconnected the PCIII and mileage went up and didnt notice any differance in the performance of the bike. JM.02

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cnr_dogs

It is hard to justify always riding the bike when it is the most ineffecient vehicle in the driveway !
I will give it a try as soon as we have another GOOD weather day. Those are getting hard to find in mid Missouri !

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have a friend that has a 05 1800 c, It has big shots and a kuryakyn hypercharger, and no fuel module (power commander, etc.). When we go on group rides he always gets 45 or better. TRASH THE MODULE!!!!!!!!

·
Letalis Draco
13 Posts
I had exactly the same issue when I got mine. Same setup and low mpg and wassup77 is correct. It's a fuel/air mix problem (too rich)

Fixed to 38+ mpg WITH Power Commander still rollin a good map. Basically, did a tune up using the 4 prong splitfire hot plugs, cleaned the KnN filter for better air (looked like it'd been packed with dirt by the last owner, literally) then turned down the mix on the Power Commander. btw, just have PC in hand, turn the key for power to the bike, hold all 3 buttons for a few seconds till it stops blinkin then you'll be in Low RPMs setup. From here I turned down the lights to: Low RPM (2nd from bottom) Med RPM (3rd from bottom) High RPM (4th from bottom) and 5k miles later (just 2 weeks ago) the plugs are brown (what you want) and the response is fantastic.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Nothing wrong with "the module" if it's tuned right, and yes, you can tune for power, for MPG, or inbetween. Picking a map 'pot luck' off the net is a crapshoot, but, its free.

Go to the power commander website and download the free software needed to assist you in reading and changing your map.

The PCIII version with USB cable is actually very simple to read/adjust/change maps.

FWIW, 40+ mpg with an 18 is the exception, not the rule. (My best recent mileage has also been in the Ozarks,,, approx ~39~, better than what I get 'at home')

Dyno tuning is the only way to adjust the A/F ratio to within the parameters you want.

Mod the intake and exhaust, and run without Fuel management?

Well, nobody's burnt one up yet, but I was running 17 to 1 in certain rpm ranges prior to my tune. (I'm in the low 13's across the board now)

One thing 'working in your favor',,, the Hyper is not a huge improvement over stock when it comes to airflow.

Another thing to consider is your FPR may be taking a dump,,, I'd confirm the map in the PCIII is correct for you needs though. Too many 'folks" out there 'guessing' that 'more is better' when it comes to fuel and a map,,,

Your mileage may vary! =)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the responses. I am new to the hobby. I bought my first bike in late June, an 05 Rebel, rode it for 3 months and decided it was time for something bigger. I skipped all of the crap in the middle, and here I am with an 1800 !!! NUTS, Right ?
I would like to stay with the power commander, but would like to see some directions on how to tune it.
I do agree with it being too rich. At any RPM it will roll black smoke when you squeeze the throttle. I assume that it will also run better when that problem is fixed ? It also will roll smoke from the rear tire, thus the need for a new one !!!
The bike is currently somewhat dissambled. I am repainting both fenders because of some light scratches and polishing and waxing everything that I can easily remove.

I do need a clutch cover if anyone has an extra lying around. Mine has a small dent in it. I was told it was a door ding ???

My hypercharger has chrome flaking issues . Can parts be purchased or should I start with a new one ? Can someone recomend a place to get parts rechromed ?
Is there something better that looks as aggressive ?

The first few things that I have learned.
I do need more accessories !!
Accessories are EXPENSIVE

·
Letalis Draco
13 Posts
I sent you a PM the other day on how to set up your Power Commander module and will repeat =)

Have the module in hand while still connected to your VTX. Turn on the key and the left row of lights will rise and fall. HOLD ALL 3 BUTTONS right away, for a few seconds till they stop. You'll then be in Low RPM setting mode. Hold the button to lower the setting, tap it to raise the setting. Use this method for each RPM range.

As for your MPG and TIRES well, twisting on your throttle like that till you're smokin the tire isn't gonna get you MPG and MC tires are SOFT so they can't take that abuse. As for black smoke already that's not a good sign. Tune it up and go easy on the throttle. You may end up a 40%'er

1 - 10 of 10 Posts