Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My name is Allan (not AL!) and I am an alcoho......oops wrong forum!

I have been riding without a street crash since 1971. Back then on a borrowed Honda 302 dream machine. Since that bike a borrowed BSA 650, Triumph Bonneville 650 (also borrowed) while in the Submarine Service in Northern Cal. Did a butt load of dirt riding and falling, around Vallejo, no helmets or cool protective gear back then of course, but managed not to break my head, and everything else healed eventually.

Then finally my first (used) Honda 500-4, while taking advantage of my GI Bill to go to college in San Diego. It was my only vehicle and I took pride in not being a fair weather rider. I was younger then!

After that a "brandy new" CX500, (transverse Vtwin) but then I needed more weight for highway cruising 2 up with that wife of back then, so a CB900, the one with the high/low range shifter, a ten speed (which my buddy in Tennessee still owns and rides).

Next a 750 Magna to speed things up a little and enjoy quicker handling, and since I was divorced at that time I didn't need the 2 up capability.

That led me to fulfilling my need to hear a twin gradually wind up as I exited turns. (flaps lips to make that farty sound effect). So I got a 94 Shadow 1100 and kept it showroom clean for 13 years.
(YES I rode it!). Had a great time re-jetting it for open Cobra slip ons, and added a bunch of other cool stuff. (Plexifairing for another example).

So one day I tell my current wife (with whom we have successfully raised a daughter who rides b*tch like no one is back there) "I have had this bike for thirteen years....",
this is my well thought out and admittedly lame effort to run by her the fact that it is about time isn't it?

All the while expecting flack. But she finishes the sentence for me and says "it's about time you got a new bike, and you have kept that one so clean someone will give you what you deserve for it".
She's a keeper! Come on! Isn't she?

A buddy here in Reno is riding it now, and it still looks fresh off the showroom floor.

My wife took MSF, she got tired of staring at my helmet, two good friends took MSF, and it's partially due to what I shared with them about my passion for motorcycling.
So I realized that if I am getting people into riding I ought to know how to advise them properly, and I got my MSF Rider Coach Certification through the State of Nevada. I teach for the State, two local community colleges and as of this year I now also teach for Harley. (they say they will take my VTX in trade, my answer is NO WAY!) Harleys are pretty though aren't they? But they are hard to housebreak.

Now? '06 VTX1800S3 Gold and Black. I am a two tone kinda guy.

I got a great deal on it since I bought it in '07 and Reno could find one in a wear house in LA.

Got it "brandy new" and began dressing it up to make it mine.

It started with a Memphis Fats, the Hondaline rack and sissy bar. And a Cobra light bar so they see me coming.

I have ridden windshields since I mounted one for a trip from San Diego to Austin TX, and never took it off. (Funny how you don't miss getting shot in the face by rocks and June Bugs, or getting your face sand blasted. Anyone know how to putty the holes it left in my face? Ewwwww!)

I broke in my VTX on a ride from Reno to Santa Barbara CA. I was hating life though, because of something new I had to learn the definition of, "buffetting"! Above 55 mph that wind was swirling up from under the Memphis and blowing my mustache up my nose! I was also whacking the side open face helmet and making it hard for me to sit in one place (at 80 mph, but why have a 110cc Vtwin if you ain't gonna keep up with traffic on the open road?). And don't tell me a MSF Instructor isn't supposed to tell the truth.

On my way home I stopped at Cruiser Customizing in Livermore and bought the last lowers they had in stock, and mounted them in the parking lot before riding the last three hours. I knew they would help because I discovered that if I put my left hand on my knee like a sail I would influence the buffeting on that side, but I couldn't figure out how to ride the bike with both hands deflecting for both sides.

(Once upon a time while riding a bicycle for many, many years in New York on a newspaper route, I for fun decided to try crossing my hands on the handlebars. You know put the right and across my body to the left grip and vice versa.
DO NOT EVER DO THIS! Not even for the couple of seconds it takes for your brain to TRY to notice they are on the opposite grips. YOU WILL GO DOWN! FAST!!) But I digress.

So the lowers helped a lot, but I was already spoiled by the coverage I got from my Plexifairing3 (National Cycle). It flairs out to cover your hands, it has lowers on it, and it has yet to be provided to fit either my old Shadow or my new VTX18. But I can cut plexi-glass when it needs to be trimmed to go around signals on light bars. And I figured out how to circumvent other mounting piece obstacles, and made myself happy in my little cocoon of an air pocket behind my happy space.

The next thing to go was the pipes. As aforementioned I like to hear the winding up of that Vtwin coming out of turns. The stocks were so tame I either needed a Tach or louder pipes to know when to shift.
The pipes won. Cobra slip-ons that help me sound like I am on a 110cc twin.
But I still get along with my neighbors.

Add some bags and away we go!

Found you guys when I wondering who else has a problem with the fact that the signal indicators shine straight up and are not aimed to catch my eye while I am watching the road.
We all know (since we are riding and not crashing) that you go where you look and use head turns to make yourself go where you need to go, so why would I want to look DOWN to see if my signals are on?
Put those indicators (all of them if you want me notice something important, like for instance low gas or no oil pressure, you know the little things) put it in my line of vision, bottom of the line of vision, but not on the floor!

Thanks for turning me onto Glensvtxgarage and the beeper I was thinking about designing but would rather buy for $27.

I know you folks will offer other great ideas when I seek them, and I hope I might have something to offer to you from my years of not crashing yet, Knock on wood (taps head at plastic wood desk).

By the way I am a man of few words.

Take the MSF class if you have not. You WILL learn something.
There is one for experienced riders. Take it and keep the rubber side down.

If you are still awake, it's been nice gabbing with yas!

Reactions: RobReckless

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Welcome aboard from SE Texas! :cheers: ++ on the MSF course. Enjoy the Cafe. Ride safe...which I know you will.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the welcome!

WOW!
people actually read this?
Must be a lot of people with time to ride, but bad weather making them read email :)

That's refreshing and thanks folks.
Looking forward to sharing more.

·
Floor Board Scraper
622 Posts
Very nice intro!
Welcome to the cafe, it is a great place to be, when your NOT riding!

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
If you are still awake, it's been nice gabbing with yas!
Welcome to the cafe.
Oh, and nice read...yes, I read the WHOLE thing. :banghead: Very amusing.
Chick:icon_chic

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Welcome from Florida, and don't worry when you are comfortable comming out of your shell and speaking up we will be here...:bleh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts