Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am going to have Big Shots and Hypercharger Kuryakyn hypercharger installed on my bike in the garage. The mechanic made me aware that if I rejet the carb, the bike can became quite rough. I read somewhere that not rejetting can be dangerous for the valves, rejetting CAN be unhealthy for pistons in longer term.
What is your experience?
Can dynojetting on rolling road really help with all the problems?
How much the lifetime of the engine be decreased by installing these mods and rejetting/no rejtting carb?
I read Scar's manual and some other advices how to manipulate yourself but I really don't feel I could do it myself. I don't want to break it down.

Thanks,
orety

·
Road Name: Lethal
448 Posts
If you have done all that you will have to do some sort of jetting.....I did the scar mod myself when I first got my bike and put my pipes on. It is actually really easy to do. Once you have the directions printed out and you start taking things apart you will see what I mean. To me the hardest part of it was trying to get the nail clippers around the piece you need to snip

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Ok, if you have the pipes and hypercharger installed by someone else. Don't let them install the jet kit.

I would first try the Scar-mod to see if that is all that is required. Then later if the a jet kit is determined, order the Factory Pro Stage 3 kit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about passing it over to the tuning garage and let them check/tune whatever is needed using rolling road?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
So, only I can tune it up properly using Scar's manual? :)

What do you think about opinions that installing mods decrease its lifetime?
Tune the carb with a Factory pro kit if you can, Scar mod is ok but not as good.

I have modded mine every way you can think of and now have 72,000 miles on it and runs like a top

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
About Factory Pro, I only need to find the shop which sells it in europe.
Do you know what is cost of that in USA?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yes, that is the kit that I purchased.

As I told you my bike came with the hyper and crap kit already installed. If I had been the original owner, I would not have gone with the Hypercharger. I think it's too much money and does interfere with my right leg a bit. I think there are better after-market air cleaners, but what I really like is the stock air-box mods that you see in some of the pictures here. Like the custom grill inserts. As well the stock air-box decap mod will allow a load more air into the engine, if that is you goal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that is the kit that I purchased.

As I told you my bike came with the hyper and crap kit already installed. If I had been the original owner, I would not have gone with the Hypercharger. I think it's too much money and does interfere with my right leg a bit. I think there are better after-market air cleaners, but what I really like is the stock air-box mods that you see in some of the pictures here. Like the custom grill inserts. As well the stock air-box decap mod will allow a load more air into the engine, if that is you goal.
Thanks.
Hypercharger just looks nice.
As far as I understand, evry custom air intake needs rejetting/tuning?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thanks.
Hypercharger just looks nice.
As far as I understand, evry custom air intake needs rejetting/tuning?
Yes, it has a cool look about it and it does get comments from onlookers.

If I may, I will modify your second comment to read - Every custom air intake, that allows significantly more air, will require a carb rejet/tuning.

This is because the carb and installed jets (pilot and main) are designed for a certain CFM (cubic feet per minute) air flow. Change the air flow and you'll need to change the jetting.

This is also why no jetting changes are required if only the exhaust is replaced. A freer flowing exhaust will not increase the amount of air flow through a stock air-box.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Thank you all for the opinions and information.
Lucky for me, they send the jet kit to the UK so I can order it :)
(amazon.co.uk doesn't sell it)

Last question though, why is it called "stage 3"?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Ok. Thank you all for the opinions and information.
Lucky for me, they send the jet kit to the UK so I can order it :)
(amazon.co.uk doesn't sell it)

Last question though, why is it called "stage 3"?
Great question! Factory Pro sells stage 1 & 2 kits, but I'm not sure the exact difference. Perhaps someone else with more experience will chime in...

I bought the stage 3 kit because that is what was recommended to me. :)

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
With that much air coming in it will not run right without re jetting it.
But if you do re jet ( I would) make sure you use the Factory Pro Stage 3 if you don't I recommend you take some Excedrin and also keep it on your bike for future headaches and grief.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
You need to rejet it with Factory Pro stage 3, the bikes come from the factory already lean and with the pipes you have along with the hypercharger you are running leaner yet and could burn the valves.
But I recommend only installing the FP kit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How long it can take to burn the valves? I have Factory Pro 3 bought and I will have re-jetting done quite soon. Will another 300 miles do any harm?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I if it was mine would not take the chance of burning them.
It doesn't take lone after the tank is pulled. It is pretty easy. Don't forget to cut the tit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts