Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Bike Doesn't start after taking it apart.

3K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  eagleinthewind 
#1 ·
Hello

OK the bike was running ok. The problem I had was/is the choke would close all the way during long drives or short quick throttle burst. So after it closed when I come to a stop the bike would die unless I opened the choke or applied some throttle.

My Goal was to adjust the A/F screw, however not know where the screw was I pulled the bike apart assuming it was on the carb, which it is. I did not know that there was an adjusting screw down at the bottom of the air filter housing.

steps of what I did (remember bike ran before this)

Removed Seat
Removed Gas Tank (Petcock off)
removed air filter cover (saw fuel and oil in there. is that a concern?)
Removed air filter
Removed back of air filter housing from carb

No Adjustments made Re-assemble now

Attached the 2 air hoses at the bottom of the back of the air filter housing
Attached the back of the air filter housing to the carb (Carb looks like it could use a new o-ring)
put air filter back in
put the rubber gasket back in the air filter housing put cover back on
Put on gas tank
Attached electric from gas tank
put hose back in place at rear right of tank (if looking from the top of tank)
Put fuel line back on petcock and turn on petcock
Started bike

The bike ran very low idle for a few minutes then died. Now it won't start. does not seem to be getting fuel so I pulled the air filter to look at the carb I could smell the fuel could not see it spray though. (thought I would)
Put air filter back on.

now bike won't turn over like the battery is dead.

I am think about trying to jump the bike to see if it starts.

Does anyone have suggestion of what I can loook at or for?

See less See more
#37 ·
Charlie D - What do you mean my actions should be reversed? I was thinking that the carb may hve to be jetted but a cleaning might work also.

Big X - I have not changed the plugs since messing with the choke. I have to mess with the choke at every stop.

Donut - I know I should not need the chole. the problem is that if I don't open it the bike will die at stops and this is worse when the A/F screw is 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns out, as I decribed how I did it.

If the choke is a fuel in richer then this would suggest that I am running really thin at 2 1/2 out on the A/F screw so I am assuming the A/F screw is air only, is this a correct assumption?

as for the idle I do not have a tac/dwell so I can't possiblly know where it is exactly at. when I had the air filter off though I adjusted the idle screw to be at half way since I could see that or what at least looks half way.

#38 ·
when you open the A/f to 2 1/2 turns it makes it richer at idle.
opening the choke all the way makes it even richer.

when the A/F is set at 1 1/2 you are leaner at idle
opening the choke a little makes it just a little richer.

The A/F is a pilot control needle is has nothing to do with the amount of air as suggested in the name we have all placed on it.
when we open it it allows more fuel to flow at idle.

You need to adjust the idle up and it should sound a little fast so with the bike sitting in you drive adjust the idle up there is no turning it half way it is turning till it idles fast and it must be done with the filter in place or the bike will not run.

#39 ·
Charlie D - Thank You for your reply. I have downloaded a manual and it calls it the pilot screw too. are the steps I am taking to adjust the pilot screw correct? if so I must be that much closer. I will adjust the idle now and let you know.

when you open the A/f to 2 1/2 turns it makes it richer at idle.
opening the choke all the way makes it even richer.

when the A/F is set at 1 1/2 you are leaner at idle
opening the choke a little makes it just a little richer.

The A/F is a pilot control needle is has nothing to do with the amount of air as suggested in the name we have all placed on it.
when we open it it allows more fuel to flow at idle.

You need to adjust the idle up and it should sound a little fast so with the bike sitting in you drive adjust the idle up there is no turning it half way it is turning till it idles fast and it must be done with the filter in place or the bike will not run.

ok Idle is set now. Must have been really low. seems to idle high so I must be close to the 800 - 900 range. Going for t a test ride to see how it responds. Thanks again for the help.

#40 ·
#41 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.