Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1800s
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2003 1800s I rode it all day yesterday without so much as a hiccup. Today I go out to ride to work make it about 2 blocks from my house and she starts running like garbage(backfiring,dropping a cylinder?,missing and no power in general). Figured I come here and ask all the experts what their take is on this situation. Any info help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe the wire going to the ground came loose or the cables going to the battery. Good luck bro!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a 2003 1800s I rode it all day yesterday without so much as a hiccup. Today I go out to ride to work make it about 2 blocks from my house and she starts running like garbage(backfiring,dropping a cylinder?,missing and no power in general). Figured I come here and ask all the experts what their take is on this situation. Any info help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all.
Get a service manual and start looking at the secondary ignition system. Do you have spark at the spark plug is a good place to start. I purchased my manual on PDF for about $5 dollars on ebay. I believe somebody here provided a link for a free on here. Its up to you how you get it but get one. You need the troubleshooters and specs. PDF's are great you can print what you need and get it as greasy as you want.:) Its helpful to learn about the bike and it's systems. Goodluck

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
You can get the service manual for free here on the Cafe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea, you have to register or something and I am also a bit paranoid about who I download from. I dont like registering for new sites its just another place that has your information and can be hacked..hahaha I dont have enough information to feel safe.. My job will send me back to security training if I make a mistake..hahaha

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
You are already registered since you are posting here. Your call. Hundreds (including me) have downloaded the service manual in .pdf form from here on the VTX Cafe without a problem.

·
Registered
17,539 Posts
On a 2002-2003, regardless of model, regardless of mileage, after 16 or 18 years if nothing else has changed, the FIRST thing I would look to replace is the FPR, or fuel pressure regulator. This is the second post today of a bike acting like this. I will say the same advice. Check your dipstick for either an over-fill level, due to fuel diluting it, or a very strong fuel smell. This confirms the FPR. The little diaphragm cracks due to AGE, not abuse or overuse. ~$40 at a dealer. After changing the FPR, drain the oil twice and change the filter once, running the bike around the block in between oil changes. This rids most of the contaminated oil.

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1800s
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the info. Paxman11 that was actually the first thing I did and all was good there. I pulled the tank off and did all the ground fixes and just happened to be on the right side of the bike and noticed that the spade connector on the rear cylinder coil was just barely haging on so I pulled it off cleaned it up pintched it with some plyers and put it all back together and imagine that she runs like a top again...Woo-hoo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts