Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1300 with stock air box and cobra pipes. A couple weeks ago the bike started bogging down when the throttle was opened about halfway.
Took spark plugs out and they were fouled. Put new ones in and bike runs like champ.
Took plugs out today to look at them and they're looking pretty bad already.
So here are my questions: could my choke be a problem? And if so, how would I go about checking to see if it's stuck open? Could rejecting be a problem? I.E., rejetted but a/f screw still 2 1/4 out. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll have to agree with Charlie above - i just picked up a VTX and tore down the carb (~2hrs work if you're being really careful) - if you don't know what's in it regarding jets, its a good idea to pop it open and see. you'll also have a chance to inspect all the internals as well as vac lines running to and from the carb (and t's as well)

even though mine was stock, it was running like yours as described, a quick teardown, blasts with carb cleaner and then tuning it in my hand before re-assembly and it fired right up, didn't even need to touch the a/f needle after that!

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I'll have to agree with Charlie above - i just picked up a VTX and tore down the carb (~2hrs work if you're being really careful) - if you don't know what's in it regarding jets, its a good idea to pop it open and see. you'll also have a chance to inspect all the internals as well as vac lines running to and from the carb (and t's as well)

even though mine was stock, it was running like yours as described, a quick teardown, blasts with carb cleaner and then tuning it in my hand before re-assembly and it fired right up, didn't even need to touch the a/f needle after that!
Carb can stay on the bike too just loosen a band clamp and pull it free from the boot tilt up and you can get to everything.

I can do a total retune in about half hour but I have had lots of practice an hour or 2 is about right.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
The stock needle will have no notches on it. If it has notches & a clip it's an after market, most likely it would be a Dyno Jet kit, which is a bitch to get tuned in correctly.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
The stock needle will have no notches on it. If it has notches & a clip it's an after market, most likely it would be a Dyno Jet kit, which is a bitch to get tuned in correctly.
In addition, the stock length of the spring in the carb is around 9 inches. DJ's spring is around 5"

Noticeable difference... Many-a-time, Ive pulled that cap off and saw the spring and said "ah, dammit..." :)

-Gonz

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
In addition, the stock length of the spring in the carb is around 9 inches. DJ's spring is around 5"

Noticeable difference... Many-a-time, Ive pulled that cap off and saw the spring and said "ah, dammit..." :)

-Gonz
Yep! Found out my carb had been re-jetted this way:banghead:, still haven't gotten around to getting a stock spring yet, but I will.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Also it is not a good idea to use the choke to keep it running when warming up because it can foul the plugs easily.
If the needle has 6 notches then it is DJ junk.
If the needle has 5 notches then it is FP goog!

Donut

1 - 10 of 10 Posts