Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've been a lurker for a while and have never had any issues. The other day I pulled my 2006 VTX 1300R out for a ride, after having it stored for winter. When I went to start it, it won't idle. Now I am a total noob, when it comes to working on motorcyles. This is my first bike. But, after reading this site, I had put Seafoam in the tank when I put it up for the winter. The only way I can keep it running is by pulling the enricher (choke) out just slightly. I've run out the old gas (mostly) and refueled with fresh, but to no avail.

My bike is 100% stock with only 2800 miles on her, please help. I've done all scheduled maintenance at the stealer...

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the idle at all??...There's a knob hanging below the airbox, that's the idle adjustment..Might need a little bit higher setting to maintain idle...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the Reply, Yes I have tried the idle screw just below the airbox, but it seems as though nothing changes. I've tried both raising and lowering... nada.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
You sure you're turning the correct thing down there??..Not to be condesending...There's the idle adjustment knob, and also the airbox drain plug....They're right beside each other, and easily confused one for the other...Just seems odd that turning it did absolutely nothing...

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Since it was parked, there were probably few changes in the mechanics.

Open the air box and see if a critter moved in.

You probably found a lot of other suggestions in the threads you read. New gas, use Regular, some fuel system cleaner ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, there are two nobs down there... I turned the one on the right. The left one looked like a fuel drain...

I've ridden it for an hour and it still won't idle, when I slow to make a turn it sometimes dies, and I bump the clutch to restart.

It's garage kept, but I never thought something could have crawled into the air cleaner, but wouldn't the enricher not keep it running either, if that is indeed what has happened?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
first thing you need to do is pull the fouled plugs out and go get a new set of Champion RA8HC (810) gap is to be .031-.034

next up is make sure the filter and the housing wasn't made a new home by some critter.

Now when you put up for the winter did you make sure you ran long enough with the seafoam in the gas to get all the gas out of the carb and the treated into it, some make the mistake of turning off the gas and letting it run till it dies.

you should be able to get a higher idle with the idle adjuster you want to turn it clockwise and if you can get some light behind the air box and see if you can see it turn.

report back and we will go the next steps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to sound dumb, but where can you buy these plugs? The Auto Parts stores near me don't have them. Has anyone found these in a chain store? Or should I order online?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Next stop using the choke/enhancer. You will foul the plugs. If you are needing to use the chok, then your A/F is set too lean from the factory.

There are many write up’s on this subject. The factory sets the A/F on the lean side to pass EPA inspections. The A/F is located on the bottom of the carb and looks like a D shaped adjuster. It is really-really hard to adjust as you have to remove seat, gas tank and airbox then make the adjustment then put it back together and if you have to make any more adj you have to remove everything again. The easiest way is to get Glen,s A/F permanent adjuster $40.00 worth every penny.
Glen's VTX Garage
http://www.glensvtxgarage.com/

Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I checked the airbox... Clean as a whistle.

Checked Vacuum Lines again... All look new

Changed plugs....
Old Plugs =

Still No Joy.

Anyone know the easiest way to drain the fuel tank? I did a search, but everyone just says drain fuel, and turning the bike upside down plays hell on my back.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
to drain the tank get a piece of vacuum hose around a foot long and a pair of vice grips hook the line to the place that now has the vacuum line on it and suck on the line use the vice grips to pinch after you have the suction, this will open the valve you should also have a piece of line attached to the gas line side and going into a container fuel valve should be on reserve.

get a can of carb cleaner with the air box cover off you will see a hole in the face of the carb with the O-ring going around it spray some of the carb cleaner in that hole, the next step is you need to drain the bowl so air box may need to come off on the bottom of the bowl left side you will see a screw that is the drain screw you open it and gas drains out the bottom post so have some rags handy.
Now with that screw open and the gas drained you can force some carb cleaner into the main fuel line when some starts to run out the post close the screw then try and force some more into the line work the throttle to get gas out of the accelerator pump and get some of the carb cleaner into it.

once you feel it has enough of the cleaner in the carb let it set for an hour or so then drain the carb bowl again and work the throttle tile it doesn't squirt anymore.

This should clean the carb up inside.

now while you are at it clean the linkage and make sure the idle adjuster screw turns in and out if it doesn't when you turn the knob you have to figure out how to fix it.

get rid of those crap plugs too and get a set of the champion new # 810 old # RA8HC

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
to drain the tank get a piece of vacuum hose around a foot long and a pair of vice grips hook the line to the place that now has the vacuum line on it and suck on the line use the vice grips to pinch after you have the suction, this will open the valve you should also have a piece of line attached to the gas line side and going into a container fuel valve should be on reserve.

get a can of carb cleaner with the air box cover off you will see a hole in the face of the carb with the O-ring going around it spray some of the carb cleaner in that hole, the next step is you need to drain the bowl so air box may need to come off on the bottom of the bowl left side you will see a screw that is the drain screw you open it and gas drains out the bottom post so have some rags handy.
Now with that screw open and the gas drained you can force some carb cleaner into the main fuel line when some starts to run out the post close the screw then try and force some more into the line work the throttle to get gas out of the accelerator pump and get some of the carb cleaner into it.

once you feel it has enough of the cleaner in the carb let it set for an hour or so then drain the carb bowl again and work the throttle tile it doesn't squirt anymore.

This should clean the carb up inside.

now while you are at it clean the linkage and make sure the idle adjuster screw turns in and out if it doesn't when you turn the knob you have to figure out how to fix it.

get rid of those crap plugs too and get a set of the champion new # 810 old # RA8HC

Are you saying to drain the fuel use the vacuum line that goes into the back of the petcock?
I put the champions in when I pulled out the stock plugs.:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Draining fuel now, does anyone know if it is okay to spray carb cleaner into the fuel line leading away from the petcock?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts