Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the past week or so, I've been having issues with the carb float. It would seem every other day or so, I'd have to tap the carb case to unstick the float because the bike wouldn't be getting any gas and as such, wouldn't start/stay running. When I took it to Greazman's, he pulled it all apart and we couldn't find anything amiss. He did the pair valve removal and replaced the T with just one tube. One end of it did have some dry rot, but he clipped that off. I checked the hoses yesterday and couldn't find any cracks in them.

This morning however, the bike refused to stay started for long, and wouldn't start back up, even with tapping the carb. It wants to turn over but isn't getting any fuel it seems. It'll start with the choke out, but the moment I put the choke back in, it cuts out. The bike is stored outside, and this issue persists whether the bike is covered or not. Just to cover all the bases, I have been parking it at a 5 degree or so incline due to space restrictions as of late. (Although I highly doubt this has anything to do with the problem.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Check that the vacuum line comes from the manifold and is Te'd to the carb and the petcock fuel valve. Without vacuum to the petcock, fuel will not flow. Also, make sure there is lots of fuel in the tank and the petcock valve is in the 'down' or ON position.

There is also a very small inline fuel filter inside the brass fitting at the carb where the fuel line from the petcock valve connects. Pull the fuel line off at the carb and check it. It maybe sitting in the top of the brass fitting, or it may come up with the fuel line when you remove it.

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check the lines again when I get home, but there is plenty of fuel in the tank and the petcock valve is in the on position.
The bike was fine yesterday after tapping the carb in the morning. Rode it 100 miles yesterday.

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I got home today, I tried to start the bike with no luck. I pulled the air box, gas tank, and checked all the lines, and they're all good. I then went and checked the plugs, they only had 1500 miles on them, but I figured they might be fouled from running the bike really rich for about 1200 of it. Seems I was right. They were fouled pretty bad. I checked to see if they were sparking, and they weren't. I replaced all of them, reassembled the bike, and it started right up.

I'm hoping this is the last I have to deal with this. But now I'm wondering, why did tapping the carb work until today? Could that still be the problem, and I just rattled it loose checking the hoses and pulling off the airbox?

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I understand you got it running - now let's fix the problem that caused it.
are there any mods done to the bike. Did you buy it used. Are you using the choke - fuel enhancer to start it - I hope not.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started up this morning too. Here's hoping it'll do the same tomorrow! I bought it used in October with 14224 miles on it. It will have 24829 miles on it when I get it home today. The guy I bought it from had jetted the carb. I believe he used the cobra jet kit. I am not using the choke, anymore, when I first got it, the guy always started it with the choke, and it needed it, so I did as well.

As for mods: Pair valve removal, darkside (if that counts), Jet Kit (Cobra I think), and Glen's permanent A/F tool.

When I got to work a few moments ago, I did hear a tapping sound that wasn't there before. So I guess I need to adjust the valve clearances. I have the tappet wrench and feeler gauges, so I guess I'll do that when I get home. Anything I should look out for? Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Started up this morning too. Here's hoping it'll do the same tomorrow! I bought it used in October with 14224 miles on it. It will have 24829 miles on it when I get it home today. The guy I bought it from had jetted the carb. I believe he used the cobra jet kit. I am not using the choke, anymore, when I first got it, the guy always started it with the choke, and it needed it, so I did as well.

As for mods: Pair valve removal, darkside (if that counts), Jet Kit (Cobra I think), and Glen's permanent A/F tool.

When I got to work a few moments ago, I did hear a tapping sound that wasn't there before. So I guess I need to adjust the valve clearances. I have the tappet wrench and feeler gauges, so I guess I'll do that when I get home. Anything I should look out for? Thanks for the replies!
Before attempting the valve adjustment, let the bike sit overnight. The engine has to be stone cold before taking the valve measurements.

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would seem the bike is no longer making the tapping noise. I also checked the plugs and they're wearing very well. so that's a plus.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I it was me I'd get that Cobra jet kt out of there and install the Factory Pro stage 3. It will run better and you will have the extra's in the kit to make any changes you want in the future. And it will be easy to dial in.

Donutd:patriot:Doug

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I it was me I'd get that Cobra jet kt out of there and install the Factory Pro stage 3. It will run better and you will have the extra's in the kit to make any changes you want in the future. And it will be easy to dial in.

Donutd:patriot:Doug
Is it difficult to jet the carb? I'm thinking I may do that when I replace my air filter and replace it with a K&N. Thanks!

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the bike wouldn't start this morning. Tried tapping the carb to no avail. Started it with the choke and that rattled it loose it seems. I ordered the factory pro stage 3 jet kit. Hopefully that will take care of this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A friends VTX would cut out for no good reason, one day he flip the fuel valve to the reserve position and the problem went away. His mechanic said the reserve position bypasses the vacuum to the fuel valve. Turns out he had a vacuum leak at his hyper charger that would not let the valve stay open. I don't know if the fuel valve use the vacuum in all position, worth a try.

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The vacuum is working fine. Checked each hose fully and off the bike and made sure it worked when on it. :/

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
zborschuk - once you get the FP in there and set the a/f you will be fine.
As long as you got it apart I would install Glen's a/f adjuster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A friends VTX would cut out for no good reason, one day he flip the fuel valve to the reserve position and the problem went away. His mechanic said the reserve position bypasses the vacuum to the fuel valve. Turns out he had a vacuum leak at his hyper charger that would not let the valve stay open. I don't know if the fuel valve use the vacuum in all position, worth a try.
I'm pretty doubting this piece of information,,,,

·
zborschuk
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, this morning I decapitated the air box and install the FP stage 3 jet kit. Man, the guy who had the bike before me must have torqued every screw and bolt as much as he could. I had to dremel the main jet to get a deeper slot and then hold the housing it was in with pliers to get it out. Pilot Jet took quite a bit of effort too. The bike sounds a lot more open now, louder too, even with the stock pipes. Seems to have more solid and steady power as opposed to the kit that was in there, definitely wasn't factory pro. Took a little effort to get the A/F in the right spot, it's at about 2 turns out now. I have noticed that 3 or 4 times in the two 10 mile rides I took, that just coming off the idle speed, in first twice and second twice, the bike would hiccup, wouldn't get any gas, just for a moment, then resume as normal. I have the clip on the pin in the 4th slot and the 215 jet. All the hoses are on with no cracks. It did only happen once on the second ride, but still, any thoughts? Hopefully the bike will start and stay started from here on out! Thanks for the help so far guys! Hope to see you at Bulldogs if you can make it!:mosh::cheers:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts