Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright so I have pretty much finished blacking out my engine. So here is a short write up of the process and some pics.

You'll need:
1. Tape
2. VHT High Heat Wrinkle Paint (or something like it)
3. Sandpaper 60, 140, 320 grit
4. Aircraft Paint Remover
5. Foam Sanding Block
6. Basic Tools

First you have to remove the exhaust, seat, then the tank. Remove the airbox and all the chrome covers and accents. Now remove the top half of the fins.

The longest part by far is the sanding. The lower half the fins you can't remove take forever. But might as well be thorough, this is not a mod you wanna do twice. The foam sanding block is good for hard to reach places and don't be afraid to rough it up a lot since and scratches will be hidden by the texture in the paint.

Then take the removable portion of the fins as far away from your bike and anything you don't want ruined. Spray the aircraft Remover on it and watch the paint boil off.... wash all the chemicals off then sand it. But with the paint off it makes the process quick and easy.

Now tape all over, cover everything well... This paint has the consistency of tar and tends to go everywhere... tape the hoses and wires as best you can, the paint really weakens the rubber hoses.

Now for painting, its ok to go on thick. It won't run as easy as normal paint. But be warned if it does run you can't fix it for weeks.... you need to apply 3 coats all from different angles to cover the inside of the fins. Paint the removable engine portions as well.

Now you have to wait.... let the paint dry for at least 2 days if not longer. It's extremely slow drying. Mine didn't fully harden for 2 weeks and that's with daily heat from the engine to cure it. But after 2 days you can reassemble and run it. Note, when you put the airbox on it will likely smudge the fins but it doesn't matter if you Sanding em for a metal finish. I would reassemble everything nut the removable portion of the fins. Give those a week before assembly.

After about 2 weeks you can reassemble everything and put back on the Chrome covers. at this point you can also sand the tips of the fins to get a nice shine and contrast. I used 60 coarse because the paint is hard.

Finished product looks great the texture is awesome and so far its really durable.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks better with all the chrome pieces back on, and the black exhaust is just temporary (that turned out horrible). All in all i like it. I think the dull silver of the stock engine is very boring and needed something. Why wouldn't you do it? You don't like it aesthetically, or is it a bad idea mechanically?

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Like you said, once you get the covers back on and the pipes replaced it will look good, much better than the silver.
Good job. I'm thinking of doing mine this winter.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to buy 2 new chrome covers for the right side. The clutch cover and whatever the bigger one is. The chrome on mine is destroyed. Having a hard time locating those pieces.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My clutch cover has cracks in it, and the chrome was bubbling like yours so i stripped it and painted it black. Its not in the pictures though. But what im panning on trying is vehicle wrap on the chrome accents, I have heard good things.

I'm not really big on lots of chrome, expensive to mod and expensive to maintain, its really not durable. So we will see how this vehicle wrap turns out. Im all about attracting attention to my bike but I am going a different, less expensive, rust preventative route.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well wiping it down is easy but all Chrome ends up needing work. It chips, scratches, stuffs, flakes, and dulls. Eventually it has to be redone and that requires removing the part, taking it to a shop spending a lot of money, and then reassembling. That's a lot of cost and expense and if you done take it to the right guy its all screwed. Paint or wraps are quicker, touch up can be done on the bike, and if u get a chip its an easy fix. Don't get me wrong I love Chrome, but I see it as an accent to the bike not trying to break the bank chroming Parts and buying a ton of covers.

Some guys who ride there bike once a week or guys with a lot of money can run all chromed out. But I ride every day and can't afford the cost or the down time. Plus every Chrome piece is mass produced. That works for some people, but I like custom.

When I finish the first round on my bike I'm sure half the forum will hate the look but it will be original unlike anything out there.

To clarify, not saying everyone who runs a ton of Chrome is a weekend rider, or that its not cool look, I'm liable to get kicked of the forum for that haha. I I just want to be completely original, cheap, and keep my bike looking good with little downtime.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well wiping it down is easy but all Chrome ends up needing work. It chips, scratches, stuffs, flakes, and dulls. Eventually it has to be redone and that requires removing the part, taking it to a shop spending a lot of money, and then reassembling. That's a lot of cost and expense and if you done take it to the right guy its all screwed. Paint or wraps are quicker, touch up can be done on the bike, and if u get a chip its an easy fix. Don't get me wrong I love Chrome, but I see it as an accent to the bike not trying to break the bank chroming Parts and buying a ton of covers.

Some guys who ride there bike once a week or guys with a lot of money can run all chromed out. But I ride every day and can't afford the cost or the down time. Plus every Chrome piece is mass produced. That works for some people, but I like custom.

When I finish the first round on my bike I'm sure half the forum will hate the look but it will be original unlike anything out there.

To clarify, not saying everyone who runs a ton of Chrome is a weekend rider, or that its not cool look, I'm liable to get kicked of the forum for that haha. I I just want to be completely original, cheap, and keep my bike looking good with little downtime.
I think you have done an awesome job, because YOU like what YOU have done to your bike...

keep up the good work! :mosh:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I am not a fan of chrome. I only wash my bike maybe once a year so chrome isnt for me. I like it. I am going to paint my engine this winter. I have already blacked out other parts of my bike.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Well wiping it down is easy but all Chrome ends up needing work. It chips, scratches, stuffs, flakes, and dulls. Eventually it has to be redone and that requires removing the part, taking it to a shop spending a lot of money, and then reassembling. That's a lot of cost and expense and if you done take it to the right guy its all screwed. Paint or wraps are quicker, touch up can be done on the bike, and if u get a chip its an easy fix. Don't get me wrong I love Chrome, but I see it as an accent to the bike not trying to break the bank chroming Parts and buying a ton of covers....
Not all chrome is created equal though...

Case in point...In the following pics are a couple old relic Honda's...My first bike, a 1973 CB350 with the original fenders, and headpipes....Chrome is dirty, but in otherwise excellent shape...The wheels however have some rust issues...The engine guard is something I added in about 1980 or so, along with the slip-on mufflers...The mufflers are shot, while the engine guard just needs some cleaning...

And a 1974 CB 450 that still has the original fenders, exhaust,, and everything except the frame color and seat is original...Wheels, rear shocks, and upper fork covers will be the only chrome parts needing attention...

Keep in mind also that both these bikes sat outside in the weather behind my brother's garage for the last seven years....

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Bill, love to see those pics of those old bikes. Good to see Honda has gotten away from those lollipop turn signals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see what you mean. I just know I cant afford the best chrome, or even know the difference. Also most Chrome for the bikes is made by the same company and a lot of people like the look but most riders I know complained about how it isn't durable at all. The name is slipping me, starts with a k. But anyways. I'm wrapping the Chrome pieces to save them. the Chrome is shot beyond repair, or at least there worth. And this offers a unique cost effective solution. I just purchased all new Chrome so I'm not against it. But I'm gonna take the worn out pieces wrap them, clear coat em and then ride around with both and see what gets better looks. New Chrome, tank and fenders will be on next week.

Also thanks for the few supportive posts above. Is like to see how the blacked out engine turns out.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
im not a huge fan of the blacked out look, but i totally support making your bike all yours and doing it your way. you being happy with your ride is all that matters. nice little write up too

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought about it and I think that would only work if i went with black. The wrap im thinking of using should give it a nice effect.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts