Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after much deliberation about wether or not to do it, I finally took the plunge and decided to black out the motor. Really hasn't been that bad of a job, so far, tons more prep time than anything else. Huge thanks to numerous members for the very informative and helpful threads. I have about $35.00 into materials, all the rest is just time and labor. Biggest thanks go out to KartRacer10's wife, Connie, for her small skinny hands to get into some of the harder to reach areas. Any one that will sand and polish those fins is a great friend. Here are a couple before pics and a couple of the tops done. Bottom of jugs are sanded just need to cleaned, pinstriped and painted. Next week is the goal. :mosh:

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started off with a medium coarse file, then 80 grit, then 100, then fine file, red scotch brite pads, 400 grit, and 1000 grit and finally some Flitz polish and power- ball. Not chrome by any means but a real nice shine none-the- less.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Hoss,
I want to do this, I tore down my bike as far as I am comfortable with, but I'm not removing the carb (Little past my level of technical knowledge.). Did you paint yours with the carb still on? Any words of wisdom for someone about to tackle this? Prepwork/cleaning tips?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
That looks really good. I have been wanting to do this for the past 2 winters, but just have not got around to it.

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Eazy E, actually it was kinda fun and man does it look so much better. :mosh: Doing my valves, scar mod and Glens permanant A/F screw this week-end and then i can put it all back together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts