Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to ride my bike today and noticed no milage readout, oil light or temp. Backlight on meter was off too. It started and ran fine, headlights worked, blinkers worked and shown on meter readout along with brights. I did not take it out so I didn't check if speedometer worked. Figured it was the fuse and it was so I changed it and it blew. Looked around for any noticeable grounds/opening but did not notice anything. Measured across the fuse housing and it measured for 12.7 with the key on. Tried another fuse and it popped again. Help please. Anybody had a similar problem.
:banghead:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
hey welcome to the site. try posting this on the Need Urgent Help, just my $.02 you might get a quicker, more appropriate response there...:icon_eek:
the pros on here will chime in quick, i mean i'm only suggesting this since you wouldn't want anything to be burned up here...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lighting behind the speedometer. You can't see it unless its dark. Sorry for any confusion.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Absolutely positive the fuse is blown??...There's two green connectors for the speedo console wiring under the right front of the gas tank...My guess is one of those have loosened to the point of not getting contact....Those connectors are very fragile and a common issue for those who unhook those when removing the gas tank...An easier way is to remove the bottom three screws on the console and remove it from the tank, leaving the wiring intact...I then hang it on the right handgrip...This aviods possibly breaking those connectors...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the fuse is blown. I checked that wiring earlier under the tank (the green plugs) and unplugged and looked at them and then plugged them in again. I did not replace the fuse again since then. I wanted to get some advice from you guys on the forum. Should I try another fuse? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
On the fuse block you have a hot side and a non hot till the fuse is put in, go from the non hot side to ground with your meter on the continuity check if you get a reading you have a pinched wire to ground.
You are blowing the B fuse correct
Behind the right side cover there are the harness plugs for the turns and tail I am thinking your tail light has a ground it is the brown wire you can also separate the plug there and check each side for ground.
I am thinking the wire got cut or pinched up in the fender and you will fine it grounded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I checked from non hot to ground and I do not have any reading there. i checked the wires again and I do not see anything obvious like a broken wire or bare wire. Any other ideas? thanks

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
The only way you can blow a fuse is by to many amps drawn and it is 90% of the time a short

So your option now is to unplug the dash and the tail lights put in a new fuse and plug in 1 at a time till the fuse blows the last one plugged in will be the ground fault.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The last thing I did was install some saddlebags. I am going to check to see if I pinched or cut a wire when I screwed them in. You wouldn't think so using the stock bolts but it was the last thing I did so I will start there. the wire harness runs right past it for the rear and since the fuse that is blowing is the tail/meter i will start there.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,434 Posts
if you have a light bar, check the ground for that......it may be loose and will blow the fuse.......did you add anything else? do you have connectors or are the wires soldered? connectors go bad...go over the wires and solder them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, still no luck. I unplugged the meter, front right, and the fuse still blew. I have been looking under the rear fender and tracing the wires. Nothing obvious yet. What a pain so I am taking small break. Any other ideas?
Thanks

I do not have a light bar and have not added anything else. Seems weird to add saddlebags and blow a fuse. Not sure why you would route wires between the fender and side rail, seems like you are asking for a short. I did not cut any wires when I screwed in the saddlebags and support.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, after all that I pulled the license plate bulb and replaced the fuse and it is fine, it did not blow. The bulb did not look burnt but my eyes are not what they used to be. Does it mean it was the bulb or could it be the socket? How do I check the socket?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Well, after all that I pulled the license plate bulb and replaced the fuse and it is fine, it did not blow. The bulb did not look burnt but my eyes are not what they used to be. Does it mean it was the bulb or could it be the socket? How do I check the socket?
Thanks
Did you check the bulb with an Ohmmeter to see if it is open or shorted?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was the license plate bulb. Geeze, what a headache for a burnt bulb. Never on any of my vehicles have a blown a fuse when a light burns out. Lesson learned-blow a fuse, check your bulbs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It was the license plate bulb. Geeze, what a headache for a burnt bulb. Never on any of my vehicles have a blown a fuse when a light burns out. Lesson learned-blow a fuse, check your bulbs.
Thanks for the heads up. Mine just went, I'm gonna check that bulb first.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ya gotta love this site

Ya gotta love this site:mosh: thats exactly what happened to mine. I removed the bulb and replaced the fuse, luckily it worked because I only had the one spare fuse. Pretty poor design to take out your break lights when a license plate bulb blows.:hmm2:
Just like yours the bulb looked OK but when I ran the oms meter across it, it didn't work. Thanks again for the info, I don't think I would have ever checked that bulb before tearing every thing else apart. Now I just gotta get the bulb number and pick up a new one along with a few more fuses.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I'm glad it turned out to be something so simple for you, even if it wasn't simple to figure out... :icon_eek: (wonder why it was set up like that? I'd sure rather loose just the plate light than all of them if I'm out at night)

Note to self: Self I say, when a fuse blows check bulbs first and then send Dave more thanks for doing the foot work on this one.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
couple of things,

are you running darkside or a wide 200 205 wide tire.

check wiring on inside of rear fender on the right side

not long after I was running 205 wide darkside I had the same issue, found that the tire had rubbed the wires inside the fender and shorted them, this blew the license bulb when the hot side grounded.

I moved the wires and covered them with a piece of metal to keep this from happening again.

also as an FYI I blew fuses 3 times on one trip until I figured it out. I would change the fuse and it was fine, then fully loaded with me 375 lbs, my wife big girl also, fully loaded with luggage for the week, and a big enough bump in the road to push the big 205 up into the wiring inside the fender. it didn't do it with just me, or both of us and no luggage, just fully loaded and a big bump

maybe this will help it from happening again

1 - 20 of 28 Posts