Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
On my old CM400T. Not a 'blow out' but a very rapid flattening of the front tire at about 50 MPH. I stood on the pegs and shifted my weight back and gentle rear brake. I got off the road upright and stopped. Then the hard part was getting the tire fixed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rear Blowout At 65

As a teenager, I was riding on back with a friend on a Honda 350, ummm, back in the 60's, on a back country road, 2 lane blacktop. Cager in front was driving about 50, so we sped up to pass him, we got to 65, but he sped up to keep us from passing him. We were now next to him, and up ahead, we could see a car coming. It had taken us a bit to try to pass him, so now comes a car straight at us, we are doing 65 next to the 'slow' cager, and the back tire went flat.

I could not decide whether to bail, or ride it out, but then I 'stayed put'. My friend managed to slow it down, and he drove it off the left side of the road, into the dirt, before the head-on collision. He managed to keep it upright to a complete stop, with me on back. Then, since we were in the middle of nowhere, in the South, (Remember Easy Rider), we got back on it and limped it slowly into town. Lucky were we two! Guardian Angel with us for sure! That is the first one, of several times that I have cheated death, that I list to my friends. :beer: :icon_yike

Jamie

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
As a teenager, I was riding on back with a friend on a Honda 350, ummm, back in the 60's, on a back country road, 2 lane blacktop. Cager in front was driving about 50, so we sped up to pass him, we got to 65, but he sped up to keep us from passing him. We were now next to him, and up ahead, we could see a car coming. It had taken us a bit to try to pass him, so now comes a car straight at us, we are doing 65 next to the 'slow' cager, and the back tire went flat.

I could not decide whether to bail, or ride it out, but then I 'stayed put'. My friend managed to slow it down, and he drove it off the left side of the road, into the dirt, before the head-on collision. He managed to keep it upright to a complete stop, with me on back. Then, since we were in the middle of nowhere, in the South, (Remember Easy Rider), we got back on it and limped it slowly into town. Lucky were we two! Guardian Angel with us for sure! That is the first one, of several times that I have cheated death, that I list to my friends. :beer: :icon_yike

Jamie
MY GOD you went down south and made it out alive????
I guess the inbreds that live through out the south were eating cornbread and watermelon when you were there........reminder to the rest of the world "stay out of th south" because you have to remember easy rider the movie, it was based on the real south.....jeeze.....
Coopi

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
MY GOD you went down south and made it out alive????
I guess the inbreds that live through out the south were eating cornbread and watermelon when you were there........reminder to the rest of the world "stay out of th south" because you have to remember easy rider the movie, it was based on the real south.....jeeze.....
Coopi
Coupla years back I was on a run down south, I was in Georgia I think, and swung into an outatheway gas station. Got my gas and when I went to pay for it the ol' boy sittin' inside said "Don't much care fer Yankee bikers but cash money is cash money."

I had to laugh all the way up the highway after that one.

Wren

·
SOF
1,352 Posts
Coupla years back I was on a run down south, I was in Georgia I think, and swung into an outatheway gas station. Got my gas and when I went to pay for it the ol' boy sittin' inside said "Don't much care fer Yankee bikers but cash money is cash money."

I had to laugh all the way up the highway after that one.

Wren
Just be happy he didn't say "You sure got a pretty mouth, boy" :eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I started not to read this thread because I didn't want to fear riding my X. However, the diverse post and the many well informed riders in the CAFE drove my curiosity. I guess reading about a blowout at 100 mph is safer that experiencing one. Thanks guys. Just pray for a safe ride every time before you take off.

·
"Semper Fidelis"
5,081 Posts
Most definately worth asking and talking about but and hopefully nobody ever has to post that theyhad a blow out at that speed however; I would rather here it first hand than from a widow, friend, or other family member.
ride safe all

·
Registered
337 Posts
This is exactly what you do during a 100+ mph blow out....

Put your head between your knees....

And kiss your @$$ good-by!

·
Thrash Now,Work Later
33 Posts
About a month ago I had a blowout/complete deflate of my rear tire going about 80ish on a sweeping right hand curve on a 4 lane and I was in the far left lane at night.There were only 2 other cars around me at the time(usually a very busy highway) and the guy in the lane next to me unexpectedly backed way off and I was able to get over to the shoulder on the right.The bike was pretty squirrly as I got over and I was praying that I wouldnt get thrown but I made it. My advice if this happens to you...DON'T PANIC. I have been riding 2+ years now and this was the scariest thing that has happened to me so far but I kept my head and everything worked out.God was definently looking out for me.

The next day I was heading up into the mountains for some camping and was able to show how much I appreciated His looking out for me when we were able to help an 80yo lady stuck on the side of the road and put out a pretty big brush fire all at the same time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wowee Pow-ee!

Yes, you are lucky to be alive!!!! It scares me just thinking about you 'blowing out' at that speed. I bet the guy in the car next to you had to put on clean pants when he got home. Congrats on you hanging in there, to get it to the shoulder! I was a passenger over 40 years ago, when we had a blowout. And I kept it together, to stay on, and trust him to get it to the shoulder. I wanted to bail out, but that for sure would have thrown him, as well. We were doing 65 on a 2 lane paved back road. I have ridden many years now, but I still cannot conceive what I would do in your situation. Did you drag your feet, or just stay in your riding position? Did you brake? Tell me so I can store in my memory bank exactly what you did. I am guessing you just rode it out. I do not think braking is a good idea. I do not know about dragging feet, but I thought I would ask the 'Experienced One'.

Glad you persevered! And I presume you would have helped the little old lady and stomped out a fire anyway!!!! :cheers:
Jamie

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Never had a front blow but have had a rear go flat not blow but go flat 3 times , each time was the same, bike starts swaying a little and you know somthing is wrong , let off gas and bring her to a stop slowley ,get to the side of the road and cuss, Dont help but makes you feel a little better, Not looking forward to a flat on the front but hope I will deal with that in the same manner when the time comes.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Never, Never let go of the bars if you are still on the machine.
This is giving up and will let things quickly get worse the instant you do.
And this is probably what killed you and your partner letting go.

You don't want to look down from above later and go, well that was stupid.
Crap, I had stuff to do yet.

You need solid adrenaline grip and fight every inch regardless for control.
The only thing going through my mine at time is, I'm not going down on hot asphalt at any speed, let alone a passenger too.

You will be taking up the entire lane, or both lanes until speed is scrubbed off before you are able to get control enough to aim it to the shoulder. Stay away from shoulder until then. You wont have much chance of applying brake because of the grip required.

Hitting the kill switch while in high gear is the best, providing automatic light braking. Pulling the clutch if necessary at final rest.

I've had both blow outs in the past living in the hot desert where the day time road temps probably hover 150+.

On the way to Vegas the rear blew, slow at first about 95, then complete with 2 up.
The spoked tube type was aggravated by the tube trying to escape at the same time.

The tire carcass & tube is slapping everything, the swingarm, fender, etc. as the rear end is trying to pass you.
The larger the tire carcass, the worse it gets. Of course I went for the cushier ride with larger tire and the better gearing it gave for cruising.

At that speed, there is no traffic other than those you passed miles ago. When they see this going on, they will be reluctant to pass.

Superbike guys go down all the time at 150, and no one dies.
You die making stupid choices at any speed.
I refused to go down and I won.
50 something later, still winning. The only azz pounding reluctantly allowed is dirt bike.

·
Thrash Now,Work Later
33 Posts
Yes, you are lucky to be alive!!!! It scares me just thinking about you 'blowing out' at that speed. I bet the guy in the car next to you had to put on clean pants when he got home. Congrats on you hanging in there, to get it to the shoulder! I was a passenger over 40 years ago, when we had a blowout. And I kept it together, to stay on, and trust him to get it to the shoulder. I wanted to bail out, but that for sure would have thrown him, as well. We were doing 65 on a 2 lane paved back road. I have ridden many years now, but I still cannot conceive what I would do in your situation. Did you drag your feet, or just stay in your riding position? Did you brake? Tell me so I can store in my memory bank exactly what you did. I am guessing you just rode it out. I do not think braking is a good idea. I do not know about dragging feet, but I thought I would ask the 'Experienced One'.

Glad you persevered! And I presume you would have helped the little old lady and stomped out a fire anyway!!!! :cheers:
Jamie

Well when I saw that guy next to me back off like he did and I had a clear run to the right shoulder I took it, slowly rolling off the throttle as I got overall while fishtailing.I didnt start braking until I got to the lane next to the shoulder(which was about 4 feet wide :banghead: ) and then only the front cause I didnt want to lock up the back and make things worse. In my experience dragging the feet tends to make things worse.All in all what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.Although I would prefer to never experiance that again :icon_eek:.

Yes I would have helped the old lady and put out the fire no matter but I felt like I was given an opportunity to say thanks so thats how I see it. :icon_mrha

Jeff

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I might take a chance and run a questionable rear tire for a short distance if I had too but if the front tire has a problem it is staying parked.[/QUOTE said:
wise decision

·
Registered
862 Posts
Next time I get that need for speed I'll be thinking about this post. Every once in a while I get in the mood to hammer down and run it up to a 100. Next time that happens I'll think about a blow out and ride a little smarter.:nono:+:banghead: = :choppersm

21 - 40 of 87 Posts