Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Several months ago, I had a rear tire blow out at around 40mph. I was just able to make it off the side of the rode. Stayed upright. I was headed home to get the car to pick up my son at school. I had considered picking him up on the bike. God was definitely good to my family.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
As a teenager, I was riding on back with a friend on a Honda 350, ummm, back in the 60's, on a back country road, 2 lane blacktop. Cager in front was driving about 50, so we sped up to pass him, we got to 65, but he sped up to keep us from passing him. We were now next to him, and up ahead, we could see a car coming. It had taken us a bit to try to pass him, so now comes a car straight at us, we are doing 65 next to the 'slow' cager, and the back tire went flat.

I could not decide whether to bail, or ride it out, but then I 'stayed put'. My friend managed to slow it down, and he drove it off the left side of the road, into the dirt, before the head-on collision. He managed to keep it upright to a complete stop, with me on back. Then, since we were in the middle of nowhere, in the South, (Remember Easy Rider), we got back on it and limped it slowly into town. Lucky were we two! Guardian Angel with us for sure! That is the first one, of several times that I have cheated death, that I list to my friends. :beer: :icon_yike

Jamie
I was riding with my g/f on leave in 1971 going to see a buddy from the Marine Corps in Georgia.We rode all the way from Calif. on a Sportster chopper and stopped in Alabama to get some gas.My g/f went to the head while I bs'ed with the attendant. She came back and said" they have 3 bathrooms" and I thought to myself "oh shyt,here we go".The attendant walked around back of my bike and looked at my plate which said Calif and said "figures",he took the money and walked off.
Yeah,my azz was sore for a month from that trip.And it was a heck of a lot smaller then...LOL :)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Went down when I was a teen because of a flat rear tire, still got the scares on my knuckles too ! Did the wobble and BAM on the pavement I went. At 100 mph, I would say DEATH would be the result !
Yea all yal people , the south is no place to come and ride . We eat everything ( theya deep fry anything down here ):icon_eek: ! But if yal come please practice squealing like a pig before !:icon_mrha
:choppersmride on !!!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a read tire blow on a different bike once. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. It took everything I had to maintain control of the bike....and I was only doing 45mph....

·
Awesome Member
962 Posts
good thread, I'm trying to soak in all the advice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i blow my rear tire on my track bike at 110 mph and i woop my ass ( closed circuit, proper gear) big scare, i would not like having the same experience on the road ( to many variables, cars, crap all over the place), if u get a flat on the back you may loose the back of the bike get a big ass shake, but a blow out will take down.
that is way u need proper gear, ppl riding on shorts and short sleeves are squids at some point.
So what i think is a puncture on the tire yea you can come to a stop safe , a blow out you screw, ( front tire blowout, you better have some good gear my friend)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Blow out

I know someone that happened to. He was on I-40 returning from Daytona Bike Week 2009. Rear tire went flat, before he could shut it down rear tire rolled off the rim & wadded up. Bike pitchs him off & he's face down skiding down the pavement. God was with him as he got up & walked away with a broke wrist. His full face helmet saved him as the front was ground almost off. Scares me just thinking about it. Things happen fast out there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
in 1978 I was riding my 76 honda 750-4 in south georgia (and yes I love cornbread and watermelon) was being young and dumb doing 90+ came over a hill and low and behold there was a tractor trailer jacknifed I hit the brakes at that time my front tire
blew and I couldnt hold her she went down and took me with her . long story short
destroyed a brand new set of leathers flattened the back of a full helmet and ripped off the heels of both boots not to mention totally destroyed the bike. but I walked away a little road rash and bruises.
Like I allways say you gonna be dumb you better be tough and I'm the toughest man I know

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dont let the tires get too old.... and when they are close to needing replacement... replace them !!! I would never say.. oh they will be okay for another 500 miles !!!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
From experience on my '83 Yamaha Venture while in Germany riding the autobahn at 85, slow gradually, brake like has been said on the good tire very gently, try to keep the bike straight and pray the tire bead doesn't not break loose from the rim. Mine was a rear tire, which like an idiot I had plugged and the plug came out....all I can say is thank you God, and man what a ride!

PS: will never plug a motorcycle tire again, even if only 5 miles on it!!

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
You need to get seatbelts to keep you in the saddle when it starts squirreling at 80MPH.....when the tire goes. I hope it never happens to you as it will not be fun. Wishing all well.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
If your tires are as old as this thread, replace them.
Threads come back from the dead, treads don't.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts