Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm sorry to say that I did experience a rear blowout on a Goldwing at about 65mph. I did lay the bike down. I did not get hurt but my father was riding on the back with me; he did not survive! Believe me friend, you don't want to experience a blowout.

Gary

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Wow Gary, I am so sorry. I did not intend to stir up any sorrow. I was mainly curious about the tire story I had heard. Please forgive.

Eric

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,694 Posts
:swear:In '73, riding a 650 Triumph Bonniville 2-up the rear tire went flat suddenly (didn't hear a blowout). Was doing 55 or 60 across a 3 mile stretch of straight 2 lane road. Never hit the brakes, let off the throttle, stayed busy as hell steering where the rear end wanted to go. Got it over to the edge after two life times it seemed. Lucky. Walked the bike down the road a ways to a village bicycle shop. He put maybe 10-20 patches on the tube and we road it to the Triumph dealer maybe 10-15 miles away. I've never forgotten chasing the ass-end of that bike. At any greater speed, I doubt I could have kept up with it, not to mention being in heavy traffic, etc. Like an old post said, DO NOT PANIC :gah: and fight that bugger to the side of the road. Then go get some clean pants.

cheers ...---... tom

·
Registered
882 Posts
Has anyone twisted the throttle & held it till there 1300 was topped out??? What was the speed?
Yes, Speed depends on the day and road ,110 to 115 mph corrected for mine. For the blow outs .... the frount it's anybodys guess what will happen but it will be no fun. As for the rear I have had 3, two on tires I don't think they make anymore (MT90). On the rear speed is your freind untill it dismounts then it gets bad. I do run the limits some times as you can see. Don't do what I do, I'm nut's that's just all there is to that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Last Friday, I was out riding with outriderone and surfcityred when my back tire blew out. Luckily I was going only 40-45 and was on a straightaway with no traffic around me. The blowout was so violent, it broke my plastic license plate frame. Luckily, I stayed calm and didn't need a change of pants. All in all, I couldn't ask for a better couple of guys to ride with. They hung around for at least an hour and a half until I could get a trailer over. Thanks Rudy. Thanks Red.

Now....does anyone have recommendations for a decent set of tires? I'm looking around.

·
Super Moderator
5,477 Posts
I lost a back tire 40 years ago on my Honda 360 CL (tube tire of course) at 70 MPH on a straight 3 lane section of freeway. I started in the left lane, (hit a box staple that went through the tire and tore the tube open. The first indication was a funny little wiggle from the rear end, followed by the back end swinging wildly back and forth, I let off on the throttle and stood up slightly on the pegs to get by butt out of the seat, I really think that's what saved me.If I had been in the seat I believe I would have been thrown off. Eventually the tire rolled to the right side of the rim and the bike and I headed across all three lanes (don't ask me how I got across all three lanes without a close encounter, because I still don't know). I reached the shoulder still doing about 25 and was getting close to the guard rail so I locked both brakes (nothing to lose at this point) and stopped with my leg about 6 inches from the rail. I try not to think about it too much, but maybe my experience will help someone else if they are ever in the same predicament.

·
Registered
13 Posts
the trick is never to run tires to the point that will allow this to happen ,the preacher is 100% on this ,back one can give you a wet pair of pants ,but the front ? R.I.P brother .

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
youi are not nuts you are just plain insane riding on tires like that
There is simply no excuse for it ... I do appreciate folks openly and honestly sharing their experiences ... and don't mean to 'dog' the OP ...

But ya' gotta' know this is real bad ... nothing bold or daring or brave or fun about it ...

These are hard economic times ... if 'one' plans on riding a bike ya' gotta plan for maintenance .... and speeds well below 100 mph ...

Bikes are relatively expensive recreational vehicles ... most folks do not enjoy riding around recklessly ... most bikers are the most considerate folks 'one' would ever want to meet ... because nobody enjoys and depends upon in life threatening situations the thoughful consideration of other motorists ... so ...

... there goes the 'recreational' part of it right down the <[email protected]@r ...

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Yes, Speed depends on the day and road ,110 to 115 mph corrected for mine. For the blow outs .... the frount it's anybodys guess what will happen but it will be no fun. As for the rear I have had 3, two on tires I don't think they make anymore (MT90). On the rear speed is your freind untill it dismounts then it gets bad. I do run the limits some times as you can see. Don't do what I do, I'm nut's that's just all there is to that.

How do you pass inspection?

·
Registered
7 Posts
WOW! I never really thought about this happening. I do know that you should check on the manufacture date on any new tire you are getting especally on line. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
How do you pass inspection?
What inspection? Yes that was nuts to run that tire down that far. But the voices in my head said it would be ok just this one time. Hey it's a 4 ply and only 3 are showing. That was on my 750ACE which is about half the bike of the 1300, you will never see the 1300 get that far down it's just too much bike.

·
Premium Member
2,092 Posts
Didn't realize that certain states don't require annual safety inspections. North Carolina won't allow you to renew your registration without one. That tire would have failed a safety inspection in NC a long time ago.

I wouldn't ride any bike with those tires, but it doesn't bother me if you do. The best stories come from poor judgement. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a rear blowout while traveling on of the San Diego freeways in the mid- 90's on my 650 Savage doing about 55. I heard it, then the rear just tried to come around on me to the right and my response was without thought to let off the gas, steer into the slide and gently get it to the inside shoulder. Didn't really have time to think about it until I parked it, shut it down and get off to look. Going back over it, I never had time to brake or do any of those things one thinks about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
on august27 2014 I was on my way home from work when my rear tire had a castastrophic failure. I was doing about 40 on a very curvy road. felt the wobble did not hit the brakes let off the gas. prayed help me Jesus the last thing I remember. no helmet fractured skull, broken ankle. tore off my left ear (plastic surgeon sewed it back on) still cant hear out of it. collar bone stuck out of my chest now I have a plate in chest. a lot of road rash bottom line is you could die and leave everyone that cares about you. I was touch and go for 5 days trama ICU. o yeah the bike is a total lose and I only had liability ins on her so she's gone. keep a close eye on your tires and brakes

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
God is good.

on august27 2014 I was on my way home from work when my rear tire had a castastrophic failure. I was doing about 40 on a very curvy road. felt the wobble did not hit the brakes let off the gas. prayed help me Jesus the last thing I remember. no helmet fractured skull, broken ankle. tore off my left ear (plastic surgeon sewed it back on) still cant hear out of it. collar bone stuck out of my chest now I have a plate in chest. a lot of road rash bottom line is you could die and leave everyone that cares about you. I was touch and go for 5 days trama ICU. o yeah the bike is a total lose and I only had liability ins on her so she's gone. keep a close eye on your tires and brakes
Wow! Thank God you are still here to share this with us.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts