Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
a stupid statement is coming.....

Tires and brakes are the only thing that can keep you Safe.. CHECK them before every Ride... ALWAYS.....

Glad you are still among Us. Heal up and lessen to the Doctors.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
on august27 2014
my rear tire had a castastrophic failure.
doing about 40 on a very curvy road.
keep a close eye on your tires
Wow - That is lucky, as well I was at 80/90 w/passenger.

Perfect tire - one broken spoke caused instant blow out being fired into the tube at the rim hole
from hitting part of the bike/swingarm? whatever.

What was main cause of failure?

Glad you came through this very brutal tragedy.

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
a stupid statement is coming.....

Tires and brakes are the only thing that can keep you Safe.. CHECK them before every Ride... ALWAYS.....

Glad you are still among Us. Heal up and lessen to the Doctors.
Not the least bit stupid. How many of us really do a good "TCLOCK" like taught in the MSF class? I don't but realize I should. I know how to check the tire - mostly just check the presure and tread depth. Is there anything else you recommend doing to check the tire? How do you recommend checking the brakes? Just look at pad depth, just a quick test when rolling down the driveway, something else?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
checking the brakes? Just look at pad depth, just a quick test when rolling down the driveway, something else?

G'day,

Vinish
This may sound totally nuts -

But slam hit the pedal at least once before leaving driveway.

One day I didn't - I just took it off the jack from washing it - detailing the wheels in the air.

Got ready to hit the road - went 5 miles to first stop sign - Zero freaking brakes.
The Zep degreasing orange flavored concentrate used on the wheels got into brake pads -

Took many hard braking modes to get them burned in/ dried out.
Just darn lucky I wasn't being a idiot - doing last second hitting the brake before danger.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
tire pressure check, tread depth check, flashlight check for cracks, rocks, nails. check sidewall for cracks, damage.

Like Phil stated..

a hard press on both front and rear brake controls... to Test for pressure HOLDING. seal failure, brake piston corrosion damage to seal.
or for cable brakes... its better to break the brakes while its parked at home..

after the first time.. 2 minutes .. like a preflight for a plane...

81 - 87 of 87 Posts