Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my friend,
I do Sturgis trip from GA, long ride ahead.
I need help/advice on selection of Bluetooth communication set for my needs.
I and my wife, passenger, ride together,
I need to find system that capable to let us both listen to music via Bluetooth and intercom the same time,
Is any system out there?:banghead::banghead::banghead:
I researched forum/google/web and I can't figure out if all these, see below, can do music for both riders via Bluetooth.
Please enlighten me, What is the best thing to get,
Thanks in advance,

Cardo Scala Rider Team Set Pro Bluetooth Communication Systems

Chatterbox XBi Wireless Intercom with Bluetooth
The Scala Rider Q2 MultiSet
SMH10D-01 - SMH10 Bluetooth Headset/Intercom for Motorcycle Dual Pack
The scala rider G4

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Have both the Scala 2 and 4. Both work great. My wife and I use ours bike to bike.

Have no experience with the others...

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
I've not used any that you have listed.

Money was no option, I'd have us all set up with G4s. Best all-round unit out there (check webbikeworkd.com for reviews). They continuously update their firmware on the units, making them better and better. The controls are fairly easy to learn, and I've heard that they connect to virtually any BT item out there.

I went with the Gooddeals18.com Interphone units. $120 a pair shipped. they can hook to 6 units, the BT to my phone is great, so is the mic and earphones. 1000M connectivity. It's replacing the 500m I had (and lost in downtown Columbus). It was a no brain call for me, to get two headsets that I already knew work great for less then the cost of one G4. Without a lot of back-n-forth talk, I get about 6-7 hours of music while riding in between charges.

I have a HTC EVO 4g Android phone. In the communications forum, there has been a lot of talk about good apps. I ride with mine powered and in a waterproof case, and it's my nav, music, tracking, phone and more. I even found a free toggle to send all calls to voicemail I turn on when riding.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Wife and I have the G4 Powerset and absolutely love them. Outstanding range when we are on our own bikes. Great Stereo Bluetooth, cell phone clarity is great. Long lasting battery power also

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your advices,
I still have couple questions to ask,
Do any of these/all have ability to transfer music via bluetooth to both rider and passenger? If yes, I assume we must pair both units to the HTC?!
I personally leaning to G4 since it newest model out.
Next, I wonder if anyone has experience with system that easily mounted to both half helmet and half-face/full-face helmets?
Because I use half and my wife half/full-face.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers:mosh:

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Thanks for all your advices,
I still have couple questions to ask,
Do any of these/all have ability to transfer music via bluetooth to both rider and passenger? If yes, I assume we must pair both units to the HTC?!
I personally leaning to G4 since it newest model out.
Next, I wonder if anyone has experience with system that easily mounted to both half helmet and half-face/full-face helmets?
Because I use half and my wife half/full-face.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers:mosh:
I don't know if the 2 G4 Headsets can be synced to the same phone:hmm2: The wife and I have them synced to our personal phones, both our phones are stereo Bluetooth capable.

As for fitting different helmets. The G4's come with 2 types of mounting options for EACH headset. One method uses a screw-clamp system, the other system uses an adhesive base that you then screw the headset base to.

We have 3 helmets each, a half helmet for summer, a 3/4 helmet for spring and fall and FF for Winter.

My Half and 3/4 helmets both allowed the use of the screw-clamp system, my FF didn't so I used the adhesive base system. We frequently transfer our headsets between our helmets, very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Thanks for the post and replies. Been researching the same issue since the wife wants to talk to me on our rides now. :rolleyes: You've swung me in favor of the G4 powerset.

I heard the G4 is voice activated. Do you have any problems with stray noises activating the intercom? If I have music playing on my gold wing speakers, will it activate the intercom?

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Thanks for the post and replies. Been researching the same issue since the wife wants to talk to me on our rides now. :rolleyes: You've swung me in favor of the G4 powerset.

I heard the G4 is voice activated. Do you have any problems with stray noises activating the intercom? If I have music playing on my gold wing speakers, will it activate the intercom?

The Voice activation is the only feature I could never get to work:rolleyes: Got tired of trying to make it work also, its so easy to reach up and tap the intercom button to initiate the intercom it just wasn't worth any more effort. There have been a couple of firmware updates that may have fixed "my" problem but I have been too lazy to hook them up to the computer to update the firmware.:cool:

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,259 Posts
In the last update you can set the sensitivity of the VOX and also they have the automatic volume control.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I guess I really should update the firmware, the wife would love the VOX feature.
Yes - update .... You can be a hero .... Great thing is you can still be the hero as you pretend it is not working if you just want ride along sans conversation ....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright,:choppersm
I thank everyone for help,
I ordered Scala G4, should get it next week,:mosh:
I wiil come back with update,:icon_blah
Cheers :patriot:

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I had a bluetooth system, but my wife didn't care for it.... Now she just uses a big stick... One smack means going to fast for her, two smacks, means she got to pee

It's primitive, but it's what I'm used to at home, so there was no learning curve...

Spoiler

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I had a bluetooth system, but my wife didn't care for it.... Now she just uses a big stick... One smack means going to fast for her, two smacks, means she got to pee

It's primitive, but it's what I'm used to at home, so there was no learning curve...

Spoiler
three smacks must mean stop for livermush!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I got my g4 power set a few days ago. I really like them. I haven't tried them out with the wife yet, but the link to my iPhone is very good. Calls are very clear and you can speak in a normal voice. The mp3 link is also very nice and the one I've used most often. So far I'm very happy with them.

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
Is their a stereo that can broadcast thru bluetooth, or can you plug this into a stereo? I would like something like this in my full face helmet, mainly for the music. I tend to ride on my own, because I don't have a "regular" work schedule. I'm adding a fairing with a stereo, and I think it would be better to have it thru this than blaring out of speakers.

·
High-Tech *******
1,039 Posts
Glad I caught this thread. I've been looking into getting a bluetooth helmet but after hearing you guys talk about the scala I may just get one of those instead.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Is their a stereo that can broadcast thru bluetooth, or can you plug this into a stereo? I would like something like this in my full face helmet, mainly for the music. I tend to ride on my own, because I don't have a "regular" work schedule. I'm adding a fairing with a stereo, and I think it would be better to have it thru this than blaring out of speakers.
Many Cell phones allow you to stream stereo media via bluetooth. That is how we jammed for our ride down to the smokies. There is also a stereo Jack on the side so you can plug any MP3 player into them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts