Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay just got my ergo engine guards today. I put the left side on with no problems, I then go to the right side, remove the first bolt with no problem, and then go to the second bolt, and it just continues to turn, but won't come out. I also went to screw it back in and it won't even go in, it just spins and spins. Is it stripped somewhere, and if it is how do I get it out?

·
.45 Goodness
3,078 Posts
If that bottom bolt you talking about goes thru the floorboard mount,
That bolt goes through the frame and has a nut on the other side.

Check that out and let me know if that was it...................Amos

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Best advice I can give you is to apply some pressure on it away from the frame while spinning it, this can sometimes allow stripped threads to get some grip..

Some vice grips might work. or if there is any space between the bolt head and frame a flat tip screw driver prying from under the head while spinning might works also.

Other options? Well you could always cut the head of the bolt off, drill out the shaft and then helicoil or retap your hole, but that would be a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after getting time to really get under the bike, Amos was correct. It is not mounted to the floorboard, but the bolt does go all the way through the frame attached to a nut. All the other bolts are not attached to nuts, so who would have thought. Thank you guys for the advice, and thank you Amos for the nut advice to a nut.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Well after getting time to really get under the bike, Amos was correct. It is not mounted to the floorboard, but the bolt does go all the way through the frame attached to a nut. All the other bolts are not attached to nuts, so who would have thought. Thank you guys for the advice, and thank you Amos for the nut advice to a nut.
Been wrenching since I was probably 6, It happens to the best of us. glad you figured it out though, and glad is wasn't stripped!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts