Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Sissy bar I want to install but just realized the bolt that is sticking out a bit in the pic is stripped and only spins and the other three that I need to remove are so tight they are starting to round out. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to remove them? I have very limited hand tools so that's an issue.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,003 Posts
Buy some tools. Metric tools.

The one sticking out might have a nut added to inside that you would need to hold still to loosen it.

The others have nuts welded into the inside fender frame unless they have stripped those and replaced too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with IndyX, buy some tools. You can't fix anything without the correct tools.
With the right size allen wrench it should be very difficult to strip those bolts.
If you have a Harbor freight near you they sell sets of T-handle allen wrench's for pretty cheap. Start there.
3/8's drive allen sockets would also be good for those bolts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy some tools. Metric tools.

The one sticking out might have a nut added to inside that you would need to hold still to loosen it.

The others have nuts welded into the inside fender frame unless they have stripped those and replaced too.
Thanks for replying. The nut this one is in is welded to the frame under the fender. I have tried vice grips and pulling as I turned but not working. I have also tried to push on the blot from the inside but it will only spin. The others, I think are just seized. I tried BB Blaster and let it soak in overnight but they are just not budging. I am going to hit them with some heat this evening. may just have to break down and take it to a shop.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with IndyX, buy some tools. You can't fix anything without the correct tools.
With the right size allen wrench it should be very difficult to strip those bolts.
If you have a Harbor freight near you they sell sets of T-handle allen wrench's for pretty cheap. Start there.
3/8's drive allen sockets would also be good for those bolts.
Yeah, I have the allen wrench and socket ones but these puppys are tight. I sprayed some PB blaster and that didnt help. I am going to try some heat on then this evening. I dont have any pneumatic tools which I am sure would bust these things out if I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts