Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm putting on the Bosch 3300 filter and it almost seems that it bottoms out and the filter it's self is touching the aluminum housing of the oil case while hand tightening it. Who here has used the 3300 filter and did that seem right to you? I'm going to finishing putting oil in and firing it up in a bit but first I thought I would see who else has this exact filter on their 1300

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seemed to work and no leaks or problems. Gonna ride for awhile tomorrow and make sure I have no blow outs

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've tried various "equivalent" oil filters, and they're all longer than the stock Honda filter. Removing them is pain in the butt, because my oil filter wrench can't fit over the top of some longer filters, and for the ones it can fit over, I can't get a wrench on them. I suppose I could get an oil filter wrench that works like a pair of pliers to grip the sides rather than the top of the filter, but that to is a pain to deal with.

I also wonder whether these taller oil filters have a larger capacity than the stockers, and might be affecting the oil pressure. Shoving any liquid through a larger container lowers it's pressure. That's basic physics.

So I'm buying the over-priced stock filters again lately.

I just don't trust the "equivalents".

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used the purolater filter a couple times without issues but they didn't have them. I know several people here who have used various car filters on their bikes for years without issues as well. Can't be wrong with the factory issued ones though.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
just so you know Honda does NOT make oil filters... a supplier does.

pressure IN and pressure OUT is not determined by filter size.. its the willingness of the filter media that does.. and the by-pass valve.

·
Whatever...
710 Posts
I am in the middle of an oil change right now. I have drained the oil, and removed the old filter (Purolator One PL14610 - which I liked - torque it on, and remove it, by hand). I am trying to install a brand new Bosch 3300 but IT DOES NOT FIT!!!:swear: The threads are WRONG for my '05 1300S!

Now I gotta go buy one at the local Auto Parts Store.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
I came here to say that ^

Reactions: FRNKCAT

·
Too short for my weight
5,683 Posts
^^yup.. I got mine at autozone

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
See the title of this thread: "BOSCH 3300 FILTER"...

My (and your) point is that the Bosch 3300 is not the right filter for the 1300. I think that we're in violent agreement. :)
Frank was simply pointing out the 3323 is the correct Bosch part number. Unfortunately, you already have the verdict on the 3300.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
just so you know Honda does NOT make oil filters... a supplier does.

pressure IN and pressure OUT is not determined by filter size.. its the willingness of the filter media that does.. and the by-pass valve.
Ditto, the media area and micron size,used to call it "C" factor.

·
Premium Member
10,103 Posts
The filter bottoms on seal to the housing. :patriot:

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,875 Posts
The answers to common thread needs to be updated because the 3300 is on there. That's what started this thread three years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
See the title of this thread: "BOSCH 3300 FILTER"...

My (and your) point is that the Bosch 3300 is not the right filter for the 1300. I think that we're in violent agreement. :)
I changed this in the Common Questions thread. The 3300 is no longer listed as an option. (Request to edit by another member)

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
I changed this in the Common Questions thread. The 3300 is no longer listed as an option. (Request to edit by another member)

Heh - Jim called you a "member" Indy

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to dig up a 3-year-old thread if not warranted. But I had used the Bosch 3300 after seeing it on the other oil filter list of compatible filters. Maybe something has changed in the last 3 years, but I didn't have any problems and just replaced it with the same at this week's oil change. Commenting in case someone is wanting to use the 3300 (if that's all which is available to them, for instance). If I had with this before the oil change I might have opted for something else.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts