Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year for the last four, I have to make increasingly more pecans for family. This year it went up to 16 lbs...so far. I hope I didn't forget any one...but I can whip up 3 pounds in an evening, and am almost done cooking them.

Recipe for those who want it.

Bourbon Pecans

Ingredients
• 2-3 egg whites
• ¼ cup bourbon
• 1.5 pound pecan halves
• ¼ cup white sugar
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• ¾ teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ tablespoon vanilla

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Grease one baking sheet. I use butter, and grease it up heavily.
2. In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites in an electric mixer until they fluff well. In a separate bowl, mix together the sugars, salt, and cinnamon.
3. Add pecans to egg whites, fold the nuts into the whites to coat the nuts evenly. Pour the sugar mixture over the nuts, and fold some more until coated. Pour the vanilla into the measuring cup with the bourbon, then pour into the sugar coated pecans, coat them fully some more, and then spread the nuts out evenly in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake at 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) for 1 hour. Stir (or flip) every 15 minutes. After final 15 minutes, flip and bake for approximately 20 extra minutes. The secret is that the time is not critical. Just when the pecans no longer stick to the pan and rattle a bit, they are dry enough. Turn the oven off, and let them sit in the cooling over for 10 minutes or so.
Also, rotate them from their shelves, top to bottom, bottom to top at each flip/stir.

You can smell when the sugar is caramelizing (it almost smells like it is beginning to burn) . Let them finish cooling on the stove top in their cookie pans.
My oven runs a little cool, so I add 5 minutes to each turn for 20 minutes each total of 80 minutes. The thing to look for is that all the pecans are essentially dry and toasted when you turn them and rattle on the cookie pans.

Do not waste the sugar that scrapes off, either. Not so good for coffee as the egg whites clump, but great on toast, ice cream, or English muffins.

I also found you can do 3 pounds on two cookie sheets/pans (a standard cookie sheet will hold about 1.5 pounds at the max). This allows me to make 3 pounds at a time.

Nutritional Information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 328 | Total Fat: 27.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Caution! Addictive.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Steve. They are tasty, and have become a "thing" every one asks for at Christmas.

I hate buying gifts for people, any more every one wants cash or gift cards...and truthfully, that sorta kills the point and thought behind a gift. The pecans can be given, and they don't sit in a closet until they get recycled, sold, or donated. And so far every one finishes them off (and some call to see if there might be more left they could have).

Merry Christmas to you and Karolyn, Steve. I hope it is a merry and joyous season!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks for the recipe Norm. Might give it a try for me and my wife. Have to substitute the sugar though (Splenda). And they have a brown sugar mix that's 50/50 that I use in oatmeal/raisin cookies. I use JD sourmash for the bourbon. Except for the sugars, seems pretty diabetic friendly and sounds like a very good snack.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours Norm. :patriot:

·
Tinkerer
1,717 Posts

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The one thing to keep in mind is the time is more a suggestion. Cook until dry and they finally don't stick to the cookie pan when stirred/scraped every 15-20 minutes. Also butter the hell out of the pan.

And Merry Christmas/Happy Chanukah to Sumda and all my VTX Cafe family!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts