Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals new to this forum and need a little help. i ride a 1800c and when i fire up the bike my brake light wont come on and niether will my rear turn signals. however when i use the turn signal switch they work just fine, the brake light will not come on when i pull or push brake controls any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If nothing else has changed start with the basics. Check the bulb and the fuse. Unless the bike is set up to use the rear turn signals as running lights the turn signals won’t come on unless you are signaling. If they are you might have something else going on there. Chances are it’s just a bulb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im almost certain that the rear turn signals are used as running lights when i get a chance ill takea look thanks.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
if the turn signals are used as running lights, then there is an aftermarket device to control this.....check for this....may be under the right side cover hooked into the wiring for the lights

·
Registered
882 Posts
If you are getting no action from any lights in the rear it would seam to me to be the only thing that they have in common is power(blown fuse) or .....OK wait for it... it's coming.... it's the only other thing that they all use in common, it's the ground. If the frount blinkers "change state" ,but do not flash, when the blinker switch is moved left or right then look for the common ground for the full rear section of the harness. I think it will be a green with a yellow stripe if my mimorex tape did not get to close to a magnetic force. If half of the lights work I would look farther up the rear harness to a branching blug it the ground system. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The more I was thinking about it I think you just have a blown tail light bulb, all others seam to be working normally. I don't think the blinkers are running lights on the rear only on the frount :hmm2:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
im almost certain that the rear turn signals are used as running lights when i get a chance ill takea look thanks.
He didnt say if his rear signals were clear,amber or red. Of course, if they were clear or red, (red being pretty rare), i'd be pretty certain that they were used for running lights too. It's a 2002 model, so that probably means he bought it used. ahhh, mysteries :icon_susp
Bry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts