Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brake light stopped working, both front and rear don't work. I've confirmed it's not stuck on instead of not working. I've tried three different bulbs. The socket looks fine, no corrosion, bulb sits in it fine. I bought the bike used and the brake light would strobe flash first before going solid so I figured it has an aftermarket addition like Back Off or something similar but I can't find one anywhere. So I figure I'm going to have to get a meter and start testing but I want to know where to look. Where do the front and rear brake wires converge and how? BTW it had a weird looking bulb in there, not your typical 1157 and not led.

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
828 Posts
You may find some wires under the right side cover under the seat. They may be bullet style connectors. These wires tie in to the rear turn signals and brake. May start there, as well as checking the fuses to see if one popped on that system. Otherwise, if the light was strobing or flashing, you'll have to find that unit and see if something is wrong with it too. It could have some inline fuse with it somewhere else, also. Any extra wires coming off the battery? May have to start there

You said both front and rear don't work. Front what? Headlight? Turn signals? Any extra lights besides those on the front? Or do you mean the front brake lever and the rear foot brake pedals aren't activating the lights? May have to check the switches for them, too. Pics of anything and everything could be helpful too. Maybe the trained eye can capture something in a picture.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have explained better. What I mean is the brake light doesn't work when either the front or rear brakes are activated. I thought of the possibility of a switch but it's unlikely that both the front and rear brake light switches are bad. I did check the fuse and it's fine. That fuse also runs the turn signals and they are working. I haven't been able to find a flashing unit. The only place I haven't looked is under the tank so it looks like that's my next step.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I suppose it is possible to locate something "under the tank" but I've never heard of doing this other than some LED lights. The stock flasher unit is under a side cover and the only place I've ever heard of an aftermarket flasher unit being installed is under the seat or under the side covers.

Reactions: MosinZealot

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
411 Posts
Depending on which model you have the tail light wiring generally has some connections under the seat. It could be possible that the brake light circuit has unplugged or become corroded. I know on my bike that is where I tied in for my trailer wiring connections. These connections are usually in large rubber boot to protect all of the connections.

Ride Safe!

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
828 Posts
I had a loose bullet connector when I was putting on some lights a long time ago that really gave me a hard time with the lights until I finally backtracked and checked everything. Sure enough it was pulled out of the socket because I had tugged on it when I first started the project and pulled one loose. Hope you can get it figured out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I finally got back to it this past weekend and found the problem. The green & yellow brake wire in the boot behind the right side cover had been cut back to were the two ends were almost undiscoverable and a white wire had been spliced in to connect them with just twisted wires and electrical tape. The one end of the splice had come apart. I put in a new splice with bullet connectors on both sides, even managed to find some green/yellow wire to do it with. Problem solved, thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts