Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm a new-comer to the board. I have read many posts here and see the vast knowledge base available. Thank you all!

I have an '06 Honda VTX 1800 Retro. I went out to ride it the other day when I noticed out of the blue, the brake lights won't illuminate; either by foot or pedal. The fuse is good. Running lights and turn signals work fine. I'm not sure were to go next. Ideas?

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I'd start by replacing the bulb. Try the simplest thing first.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
121 Posts
Start with purchasing a test light if you don't have one. You'll find many uses for it when working on electrical for the bike and this is just one of them.

You say foot or pedal, I figure you meant foot or hand brake.

Power to the brake light is the first thing I'd check. If no power to it, then find and check the switch that operates the brake light.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Has the motorcycle been modified? Are you still running the stock lights? Do the turn signals work properly when the Rear brake peddle is depressed and the front brake when either are applied. I'm not sure of the 2006 1800R wiring. The 2006 1300R wiring to the back are under the right plastic panel under the seat. On my 1300R it is chrome. The wires are banana plugged. I guess there could be a bad contact in the connections. If everything else works that the others tell you. This is one more thing to check. If I lived closer, I'd try to help. I'm on the coast of Virginia. Good luck. If you have a Honda Line Light Bar wired as Honda Instructs, the amperage is too high for the fuse to handle. Most people wire the light bar with a relay in line. I knew when I wired my light bar, the fuse blew. I think I lost my brake lamp fuse. I cannot remember. Was 5 years ago. Best of Luck. Let your new VTX Family know what worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well don't I feel like a heal! The brain cells are decaying quicker than I thought!

The saddlebag lights are only the running lights and turn signals. The actual brake lights are in the middle of the fender. It took my brother in law coming by and me asking him to check them when I put on the brake. When he said ”yes”, I thought no way! Sure enough….plain as day. I was looking at the wrong lights and couldn’t actually see the brake lights!

I purchased the bike less than a year ago and it’s a beauty! Imagine an ’06 with only 2500 miles and fully customized. I guess they didn’t ride it much.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If you want to have a brighter brake light, other than going for an LED setup, swap the stock 1157 bulb for a 2357. It's somewhat brighter, but the life is shorter. Get a 2 pack and keep a spare. Oh, and welcome from central Pa. high atop the frigid Alleghenies.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
You are not the first person to overlook something simple. I'm just as guilty. Not sure how your rear lights are lit. I still have the stock turn signal mounts on my bike. I added the TRIPLE WHAMMY™ RUN-TURN-BRAKE LIGHT KIT. You can find it here. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/731/triple-whammy-run-turn-brake-light-kit I do not know if the 2006 1800R wiring is the same as the 2006 1300R for the rear lights. I did a write up a few years ago as to how to do it. I do know the 2006 1300 VTX wiring is the same from the C, R, S, T models. I have done a couple of 2006 1300 VTXs. Your stock front turn signals and rear fender brake lamp are the same. Yes the #2357 bulb is brighter. I had installed them myself. If you were to go with bright LED lights in the turn signals you will probably have to go with a load equalizer.

1300 VTX 2006 models are wired this way.

I did the Triple Whammy on my 2006 1300. Wired a friends also. The wiring is the same form 2006 1300 rather it is a C/S/R. I am not sure if the wiring colors are the same for the 2007 as it is for the 2006.
The 2006 R, S & C share the same wiring colors. Here is the wiring for a 2006 1300 VTX.

Kuryakyn Triple Whammy Run-Turn-Brake Light Kit for Honda 2006 1300 VTX

Remember Male end of a plug is what goes inside the other connector. Just like the female end of a garden hose goes to the house and the male to the nozzle so you can wash your bike.

There three Banana plugs. Look at the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy part.
The Kuryakyn female banana plugs are Brown to Honda's Brown male banana plug .

The Kuryakyn female banana plugs are Green to Honda's Green male banana plug .

The Kuryakyn female banana plugs are Green - Yellow Stripe to Honda's Yellow male banana plug .

Now the other end of the Triple Whammy banana plugs. You see they are Male.

The Kuryakyn male banana plugs are Brown to Honda's Brown -Blue Stripe female banana plug .

The Kuryakyn male banana plugs are Green to Honda's Green female banana plug .

The Kuryakyn male banana plugs are Yellow to Honda's double wired Green - Yellow Stripe female banana plug .

Now it is time for all those smaller wires that had me scared when I read the instructions. Once you set a wire into the plastic plug, it is almost impossible to release it and swap it out.

I took the Orange plastic connector and looked at the Honda Stock Male Orange connector. I then made sure what end of the Kuryakyn wire plugged into the fitting without the Kuryakyn plastic connector. I believe but not sure..... The Honda male plastic connector has a female metal clip inside it. I guess it is best to tell what wire goes to what wire.

The Honda Male Orange connector has a Green wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Female Orange connector Green wire.

The Honda Male Orange connector has a Orange wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Female Orange connector Orange wire.

The Honda Male Orange connector has a Green wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Female Orange connector Green wire.

The Honda Female Orange connector has an Orange / Green Stripe wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Male Orange connector Orange wire.

The Honda Female Orange connector has an Green wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Male Orange connector Green wire.

Kuryakyn sent me black plastic connectors to mate with the blue Honda connectors.

The Honda Female Blue connector has a Blue wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Male Black connector Blue wire.

The Honda Male Blue connector has a Blue / Brown Stripe wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Female Black connector Blue wire.

The Honda Male Blue connector has a Green / Brown Stripe wire that connects to the Kuryakyn Female Black connector Green / White wire.

I hope your colors are the same. Clear as Mudd?? Good Luck.

The Equalizer will plug into one of the two connectors that will allow both Left & Right Turn signals to blink slowly as it was stock. Try one, then the other. You may require the secondary equalizer as Lance did after I wired his bike. He has a 2006 1300C VTX. I have the 2006 1300R VTX. Be careful removing the amber turn signal from the rear and adding the red dish lens. You can break the chrome housing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, so my brake light was stuck on. I adjusted the brake switch at the foot brake pedal. I had to push the plunger in with a screwdriver for it to disengage.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
I have seen this rear brake pedal switch become hard to engage or disengage due to corrosion of the switch "guts" and the build-up over time of "gunk" inside the switch body. Take it apart, clean the parts, remove any "gunk", lubricate the moving parts, shine up the electrical contacts, and see if this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts