Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cube Monkey
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum and I just want to start off by saying "THANKS" to everyone for all the great posts.

Last week I replaced my front tire (2004 1800 Retro) and as you probably know, you have to take the brake pads off to do the job. That got me to wondering:

How do I know when my brake pads need to be replaced?

Is there an easy way to tell when the pads need to be replaced?
(Whose going to be the 1st to reply "When the bike don't stop!!)

Which set of pads tend to wear out first - front or rear?

Do both the front & rear pads need to be replaced at the same time?

How many miles should I expect to get before I need to take a hard look at replacing the pads?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
I just joined the forum and I just want to start off by saying "THANKS" to everyone for all the great posts.

Last week I replaced my front tire (2004 1800 Retro) and as you probably know, you have to take the brake pads off to do the job. That got me to wondering:

How do I know when my brake pads need to be replaced? Kinda like a car, when they start squeeking or get soft.

Which set of pads tend to wear out first - front or rear? For me it was the back brakes as i tend to use them more.

Do both the front & rear pads need to be replaced at the same time? I would at least look at both when changing.

How many miles should I expect to get before I need to take a hard look at replacing the pads? my back brakes at 21K the front at 33K, I also changed my back ones out at the same time. I used EBC fa261HH brake pads. About 40 per set but so far so good for me.

Hope this helps you

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
How do I know when my brake pads need to be replaced?

I work construction so I just grab my little plumbers inspection mirror and look at the pads. You can pick up a little insp mirror at Home Depot for a couple bucks they are really handy to have around.

You will feel less and less grab and you may feel a little grinding thru the pedal or lever (once you experiance it you will know it) that may mean that you are getting metal on metal which will damage your rotors so try to replace them a little before that.

Which set of pads tend to wear out first - front or rear?

That will depend on your riding style, I tend to use mainly my front brakes. Unless I am splitting lanes or doing slow manuvers. I generally change both the front and rear at the same time.

Do both the front & rear pads need to be replaced at the same time?

No, but I do them both since I have the tools out and am already dirty.

How many miles should I expect to get before I need to take a hard look at replacing the pads?

I give mine a really good lookin over when I pull the tires to replace them every 10,000 - 12,000 miles.

Hope that this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts