Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning riders, Going over my trusty steed this morning, getting for (my) riding season. I live in Las Vegas and the summer months are my winter. Way too hot. So anyways, going thru my check list, pull the handle bar brake lever, hold my mirror so I can see my tail/brake light, whoops, no brake light. Use the foot brake pedal, ok, brake light on. Back to the hand grip, check the two blade connections, one was a little loose, give a little squeeze, push back on, no light. Turns out to be a pretty easy fix. Remove one screw from bottom of switch, the little plunger that moves when you close and open the handle was dirty. Sprayed some contact cleaner (same as used on the starter switch) and as the French say, Walla, it works. It's the little things in life that make me happy.
Stay safe.
Dress for the slide, not the ride.

·
Super Moderator
10,199 Posts
Hmmm. I think that the front brake lever switch resides inside a rubber/plastic boot. I wonder if contact cleaner is a good choice here or it will degrade the rubber/plastic boot. What do other think? Is there a better alternative than contact cleaner for cleaning and lubricating this switch?

·
Registered
16,871 Posts
If that was all I had at the time, I would have used it too. Chemicals like that are highly volatile and evaporate quickly, but yes, just contact may have started degradation of the rubber. IDK of a viable substitute other than WD40 or even brake cleaner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did the same just to get myself ryding again. Because I was aware of the effects chemicals can have on plastic, I bought another one on ebay for only $8.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmmm. I think that the front brake lever switch resides inside a rubber/plastic boot. I wonder if contact cleaner is a good choice here or it will degrade the rubber/plastic boot. What do other think? Is there a better alternative than contact cleaner for cleaning and lubricating this switch?
There is a plastics-safe contact cleaner. Used it on amps, guitars, stereos, etc. Autozone has it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts