Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought new brake pads and started the change, old ones are still good bike has 38K. Is this normal for these bikes

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
Yes depending on your riding style they can last a long time. You can also check them before you pull them by looking at them with a flashligt and plumbers inspection mirror, just make sure to look at all the pads.

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Yes depending on your riding style they can last a long time. You can also check them before you pull them by looking at them with a flashligt and plumbers inspection mirror, just make sure to look at all the pads.
Aww Marty, you know the inside rear pad would never wear down to dust while leaving the one you can see almost new. ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just did my rear pads at 27K.... they could have gone 5k longer, I'm sure, but I changed them anyway...the original fronts are still there and are thick... was amazed to see that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've gone through 2 sets of rear pads and my front pads still look new.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Yall who changed rear pads only, are yall heavy on the rear brakes?
For casual stops I usually go with about 75% on the rear brake, we ride 2up a lot so I tend to use the rear more to help keep her from sliding forward while stopping.

·
IBA #37750
1,813 Posts
I just changed my front pads last week. They had 48K on them.

Yall who changed rear pads only, are yall heavy on the rear brakes?
I tend to use more rear brake than front, especially at very slow speeds. Usually touch the front brake only when I'm stopped.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just about never use front brake,unless its a panic stop.Old school rear brake.:coffee:

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
I was just curious. Of course the braking is "suppose to be" 80% front and 20% rear, but I didn't know how religious folks followed it.

any particular manuf recommended pads? Sintered, Semi Metallic, Kevlar? OEM? Organic or no? does it really matter?
I have Organic brake pads by EBC both front and rear on my VTX. The Sintered pads will eat up your rotor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts