Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all
I just replaced the air filter housing on my 06 vtx1300r and have a question.I am 3rd owner when removing housing the crankcase breather hose a bolt in it. when removing it had several ounces of liquid in it. When traceing it ran back to cooling system. So I put the bolt back in it. Has anyone had a similar experience ?
any advice would be greatly appreciated .

·
Super Moderator
12,003 Posts
You should retrace that hose. Nothing attached to the airbox is part of the cooling system. The cooling system is full of coolant and operates under pressure. No hose that went to the airbox would hold pressure. Instead, it would spew coolant all over the place. There are two hoses that go into the back of the air box. One is part of the PAIR valve system and one is the crankcase breather hose. It is reasonably common for people who have removed the pair valve system but not done so fully to block off the pair valve hose with a bolt. I suspect and hope that the hose you see with the bolt is part of the pair valve system. The larger hose that goes into the airbox is the crankcase breather hose and must NOT be blocked as this can lead to pressure build up in the crankcase and a blowout of the shifter seal. To test this, shut the bike off, remove the dipstick, place a small piece of tissue paper over the dipstick hole. Then blow into the large hose that enters the air box., If this hose is the crankcase breather hose, the air will come out the dipstick hole and the tissue will be displaced by the air.

If you determine that the crankcase breather hose is truly blocked off, remove this bolt immediately and reconnect the hose to the proper place on the back of the air box.

Reactions: MR VTX

·
There Can Only Be One
2,763 Posts
Yeah definitely trace those hoses...they're easy to confuse with each other. The crankcase breather hose has a large I.D. and would need a pretty large bolt (diameter) to stick in there...plus the fact that you'd have been spewing oil all over the left side of the bike from that blown shifter seal.

Post up some pics if you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should retrace that hose. Nothing attached to the airbox is part of the cooling system. The cooling system is full of coolant and operates under pressure. No hose that went to the airbox would hold pressure. Instead, it would spew coolant all over the place. There are two hoses that go into the back of the air box. One is part of the PAIR valve system and one is the crankcase breather hose. It is reasonably common for people who have removed the pair valve system but not done so fully to block off the pair valve hose with a bolt. I suspect and hope that the hose you see with the bolt is part of the pair valve system. The larger hose that goes into the airbox is the crankcase breather hose and must NOT be blocked as this can lead to pressure build up in the crankcase and a blowout of the shifter seal. To test this, shut the bike off, remove the dipstick, place a small piece of tissue paper over the dipstick hole. Then blow into the large hose that enters the air box., If this hose is the crankcase breather hose, the air will come out the dipstick hole and the tissue will be displaced by the air.

If you determine that the crankcase breather hose is truly blocked off, remove this bolt immediately and reconnect the hose to the proper place on the back of the air box.
thanks for the advice. I've put 17000 miles on her with that bolt in. can't believe I didn't blow a seal.she shifts a lot smother and quitter now. ill try to figure out how to put a couple of pic's on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah definitely trace those hoses...they're easy to confuse with each other. The crankcase breather hose has a large I.D. and would need a pretty large bolt (diameter) to stick in there...plus the fact that you'd have been spewing oil all over the left side of the bike from that blown shifter seal.

Post up some pics if you can.
Mr VTX
Do you
have a picture of the crankcase breather hose the airbox removed?
The one time my bike was in a shop after 18 years they had a flash fire and two hoses melted I'm going to do the pair mod tomorrow or you're saying the larger of the two hoses or the crankcase breather?
A smaller ID hose is the pair valve?
Isn't that hose removed when I pull all the other pair off?
I don't want to have to replace the hose if I don't need to put a bolt in it it's melted
thank you

·
There Can Only Be One
2,763 Posts
Mr VTX
Do you
have a picture of the crankcase breather hose the airbox removed?
The one time my bike was in a shop after 18 years they had a flash fire and two hoses melted I'm going to do the pair mod tomorrow or you're saying the larger of the two hoses or the crankcase breather?
A smaller ID hose is the pair valve?
Isn't that hose removed when I pull all the other pair off?
I don't want to have to replace the hose if I don't need to put a bolt in it it's melted
thank you
The crankcase breather hose is a two-piece hose with a reducer in the middle. The hose that attaches to the airbox is a smaller diameter hose than the one attached to the top front cylinder.

This is the larger diameter hose.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Auto part

This is the smaller one, and you can see it route to the right side.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Hood Automotive exterior

This is where it's attached to my breather filter.

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome pictures I appreciate your time I'm going to post what I found I'm surprised my bike didn't blow up driving it home.
There was a total of six hoses not connected to anything.
I did the pair mod and my pair valve where the air vacuum hose goes was melted.
There was soot inside my pair reeds after removing the stock covers and the pair hose was melted behind the air box and so is my airbox.
I'm going to post the pictures and see if anybody knows where they might go the bike was built a 50 state bike California I was told the used carburetor I bought that he supposedly rebuilt was a 49 ostate carb.
I'm hoping someone can identify these hoses and what has to be connected.
Thank you

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome pictures I appreciate your time I'm going to post what I found I'm surprised my bike didn't blow up driving it home.
There was a total of six hoses not connected to anything.
I did the pair mod and my pair valve where the air vacuum hose goes was melted.
There was soot inside my pair reeds after removing the stock covers and the pair hose was melted behind the air box and so is my airbox.
I'm going to post the pictures and see if anybody knows where they might go the bike was built a 50 state bike California I was told the used carburetor I bought that he supposedly rebuilt was a 49 ostate carb.
I'm hoping someone can identify these hoses and what has to be connected.
Thank you
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Electrical wiring

Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring
Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tints and shades Helmet

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts