Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at the chevy dealer til the morning. Very nice of them to offer. All of a sudden I had an unusual short series of backfires on decel, then it acted like it was out of gas. I had left it on reserve at the last fill up, only 87 miles ago, and there was still gas left in the tank. Tried to re-start it, but it wouldn't fire. It's an 06 and the battery has been weakening so I had my gal bring me a new one but it didn't help. ECM wires seemed ok and then it got dark. I'm at a loss, but that's not unusual...not a mechanic by any stretch. Please advise. I've had it since October, put half of the 3500 miles it has on it, and had no probs to speak of. It just turns over and over but doesn't fire with or without the choke. I rode for about ten miles before this happened. What's my next step?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Have you had the fuel tank off recently?

Have you had anything installed, such as an aftermarket air cleaner?

Also be sure the petcock is in the downward position.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
If you have been using the choke pull the plugs and clean or replace them.

Then make sure the vacuum line attached to the fuel valve is still hooked up check where it gos to the tee also.

Backfire could have popped the line loose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't know a whole lot about Honda, but as with most things, they want fuel and spark. Check to see that fuel is flowing into carb, check for spark. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't had the tank off, and the petcock was up, on res, but I'll make sure it's down in the morning when I try starting it. I haven't done any engine mods yet, but I have been choking it all winter to start it, so I will clean the plugs. And I'll try and figure out where the vacume line is.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
but I have been choking it all winter to start it, so I will clean the plugs....
Plugs are probably toast....The "choke" is actually an enrichment circuit in the carb...Just dumps extra fuel into the cylinders, and fouls spark plugs very quickly...

·
Registered
91 Posts
87 miles on reserve makes me think something might have been low in the tank an made its way into the fuel line. I would blow out the line and dump the float bowl. I think you have a fuel problem. Not serious. If you remove the fuel line at the carberator and fuel runs freely then the block is in the carb. If it is in the line you can blow it back in the tank, get her home and remove tank and dump it out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
good luck with the fuel problem.:banghead: its going to be a nice day today as well...Not a mechanic but ill be outand about to on the 1300R if you need a hand. in kernersville over here.:choppersm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Charlie D hit it on the nose....vacume line at the T under the tank. Put in new plugs as well as the battery last night. Old plugs look pretty good...will clean 'em and keep 'em. Thank Youse guys very much! I'm in Greensboro Mr. X, and the folks at Bill Black Chevrolet are Bike friendly folks. They were xtra nice and helpful, much like the folks here. Awesome.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Glad to hear (read) you got it fixed. I'm not even close to being mechanically inclined but I'm constantly reading threads and I'm actually learning as well.

·
Road Name: Lethal
448 Posts
Dont worry that same thing has happened to me before......I have done that like twice and had the fuel off. My first reaction is getting pissed off cause there is something wrong and then releaved when I realize it was something easy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Once again the cafe bunch to the rescue. I need to get me a smart phone so I can tap into the knowledge base from where ever I am. There is so much info here I need, and so little brain space to store it LOL

·
Registered
118 Posts
Haven't had the tank off, and the petcock was up, on res, but I'll make sure it's down in the morning when I try starting it. I haven't done any engine mods yet, but I have been choking it all winter to start it, so I will clean the plugs. And I'll try and figure out where the vacume line is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts