Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody!

just picked up this 02 1800 and the gentleman I bought it from gave me the rear seat to go with it but, told me the bolt that holds the back in place is sheared. By god he was right. I can’t mount the rear seat properly and I have no idea how to go about replacing that bolt. I looked under the rear fender and saw the mount that holds it in place. Any ideas how to fix this so my wife and I can ride together or has anybody ever ran into this in the past. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,762 Posts
I hope you used the proper washers on that because you know what will happen if that nut comes off....

·
Registered
17,968 Posts
Cut/ drill it out, replace with a bolt/ nut combination of your choice. Use some blue Loctite so it only comes off when you want it to. My 1800 seat is a 2 piece seat, with an attaching bracket under the seat pan. By keeping this attached like this, it appears as a 1 piece seat but still attaches with the rear tab as your pix shows. Use a stainless bolt/ nut.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,762 Posts
Paper washers, correct? Lol I used lock washers. Don’t need my wife flying off the bike. I actually like this one. 😅
I was more thinking about the bolt or nut (depending on which way you put them on) hitting the rear tire when it comes loose. That could be bad.

·
Registered
17,968 Posts
I was more thinking about the bolt or nut (depending on which way you put them on) hitting the rear tire when it comes loose. That could be bad.
You could use a round headed carriage bolt if you're careful trimming the hole, and then filing it so the square of the shoulder under the domed head fits the square hole. If it would happen to contact the tire somehow, it's a low smooth surface.

Reactions: RJ64

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know I'm late to the game but the rear seat bolt (Partzilla part # 90021-MZ1-000) is super soft. I've managed to strip the hex part of it twice. Yes, I'm a serial over-torquer but this time it wasn't that. Buying a grade 5 bolt & washer.

·
Registered
2005 VTX 1800F2 w/240 Phat Tire
241 Posts
weld the nut to the subframe so it can't come loose.

since I removed my subframe for the widened fender, I welded the nut to my cross-member support, I use a M8 button head allen to secure the seat, seat isn't coming off and nut isn't dropping onto the tire, and the tire, even bottomed out on the air suspension doesn't come any where hear the bolt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts