Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put together a short string of posts from a buddy in our Honda group who had to abandon a ride this last weekend. Was wondering if any of the Wunderkind here had experience with this issue, especially on this bike?
Sorry I was a "no show" for the Camp Kemo ride, but I had a last minute equipment failure. I got as far as the Flying J truck stop to refuel when I discovered that the fuel cap on my ST1300 would not open. I had enough fuel to get back to Orangeburg, but not enough for a roundtrip Camp Kemo ride. Of all the aggravating things on a motorcycle to fail, not being able to refuel it ranks pretty high on the list.
Once I was home and the temperature dropped some, I was able to open my tank about every fourth try. The mechanism seems to be functioning as designed, but the two latches may not be retracting as far as necessary to release the cap. I'm still studying the problem.
I tied WD-40 last week when the problem was just starting to become a nuisance. I thought that I had found the proper encantation to get the cap to open reliably until last Sunday. Now, I'm in the early stages of head scratching while considering everything from filing down the ends of the locking lugs to replacing the entire mechanism.
THANKS! :patriot:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Could the rubber seal be swollen to the point that it's causing binding of the latches? Try pressing down on the cap as the key is turned.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Tell him to try another of the factory keys and see if the keys are different. He didn't recently do a key mod did he. It could be the key isn't setting in the lock all the way, I read theis before. I can't swear that's it but it can't hurt to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts