Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just starting to look for a camera for bike or helmet mount. I thought it might save me some time looking if I had some feedback on personal, practical experiences. Look forward to hearing from you guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an SJCam4000 (cheap GoPro) with the waterproof case and a motorcycle mount on my roll bars. Works good. Never had a problem with it. I don't feel I need one on my helmet.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would recommend crash bars first and handlebar mount second and helmet last. Reason is that when reviewing the videos the constant camera motion is annoying and if you try to use any motion correction the images look very poor. Remember you are constantly scanning for 4 wheeled obstacles . For the helmet, I did it a few times when indoor go-carting and the results were only OK , the head movement was annoying, but I really did not have a choice. The funniest was when scuba diving, I put one on my wife's head in Fiji. She was looking all over the reef and results were almost dizzying to watch. It looked like we had strapped it to a chihuahua on crack there was so much motion. I have been using gopros for years the original hero (which ended up with an annoying lens scratch, a hero 3 that got flooded on a dive (my fault) and I am still using a hero 4 with great results. Most of the time I record at 2.7K 30 fps so that I can have room to edit or grab stills with good quality trading off vs file size.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am just starting to look for a camera for bike or helmet mount. I thought it might save me some time looking if I had some feedback on personal, practical experiences. Look forward to hearing from you guys.
I bought a cheap 4K helmet cam on Amazon, about $ 45.
The camera works great, but i mounted it to the side of helmet, with the adptors that it came with .
I tried to mount it on the highway bar, then the handle bars, but it vibrates too much and makes the video Shakey.
Works best for me mounted on my helmet. Does not work good in high winds, too Shakey.
Go Pro's cost too much for me.

Don't remember what brand camera i bought, but its 4K and looks great on sunny days. Mine takes 2 minute videos at a time, that works best for me when viewing the videos. You can set it to record at continued recording @ 2 min, 5 min or more. Came with spare battery.
Will last all day. Can also to use take photos.
GREG

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a cheap 4K helmet cam on Amazon, about $ 45.
The camera works great, but i mounted it to the side of helmet, with the adptors that it came with .
I tried to mount it on the highway bar, then the handle bars, but it vibrates too much and makes the video Shakey.
Works best for me mounted on my helmet. Does not work good in high winds, too Shakey.
Go Pro's cost too much for me.

Don't remember what brand camera i bought, but its 4K and looks great on sunny days. Mine takes 2 minute videos at a time, that works best for me when viewing the videos. You can set it to record at continued recording @ 2 min, 5 min or more. Came with spare battery.
Will last all day. Can also to use take photos.
GREG
Oh, also the video cam mounted to the helmet gets a good view, not a good view on highway bar. Helmet view looks like your riding on the bike watching the video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh, also the video cam mounted to the helmet gets a good view, not a good view on highway bar. Helmet view looks like your riding on the bike watching the video.
Then you should get a 360 degree camera mounted to your helmet. That would be worth all the shakiness!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am leaning towards the gopro that Costco has seems to be a pretty good deal, but a friend just showed me a 360 camera. More to think about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just watched a video and a review of the rylo 360. It's pretty amazing how well it works. The stabilization is really good, but you can't use a computer to edit the video. At least not in the review I saw. You do it all on mobile devices. Less convenient but still doable.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,375 Posts
I just bought the Sena 10C Evo. it is a combination camera and communication system. it fits on the helmet. If you go on you tube, you will find several very positive reviews for it. you can buy a cheapo camera, and it will work satisfactorily, or you can spend some bucks and get what you are looking for. I wanted to be able to use my phone on long trips, and film some of them. It retails for around $399. I went to the Cleveland motorcycle show and saved $100. I have started to play with it and like what I see, so far. I am waiting for my new helmet to arrive so I can mount it and try it out before riding season resumes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts