Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. Just purchased an 04 1300 with Vance & Hines, airbox deleted and k&n filter. I think it needs jetting and I can’t find the FP kit online. Were these discontinued for the 1300? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
Here is the page with the item on the Factory Pro web site: Honda, VTX 1300, Retro, carb, shift star kit

Unfortunately, they appear to only sell it along with the "Long boy" A/F fuel screw for a total of $99.95 + $14 S/H. Perhaps you can contact them and order just the jet kit and then get Glen's Permanent A/F screw. I know that Glens Permanent A/F screw works great but I have no experience with the FP "Long Boy" A/F fuel screw. Has anyone used the latter and, if so, can you access it on a hot bike without removing anything and without burning yourself?

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,875 Posts
No way you can get enough grip with gloves on that. No way to turn that without gloves you'd burn yourself. Good thing you don't typically need to adjust the AF mixture once it's set so setting on a cold bike no problem. The hard part would be knowing how many turns out you are when you can't see it.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I think it would be nice to be able to adjust the A/F screw during the rejet/tuning process on a hot bike - a particularly hot bike given that two of the tests done during the tuning are to rev the bike to or near the rev limit and to run the bike up to ~80 mph.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info guys. I see the kit on the FP website now that you mention it. I was confused by the inclusion of the long boy with the kit. Not the most intuitive website but I hear their product is top-notch. Guess I’ll be ordering the kit and perhaps end up with two AF screws because I’m definitely going for Glenn’s AF screw. Thanks again. Super helpful forum so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A6C306BC-2584-4BB3-8457-BB49055FD733.jpeg

Here’s the bike by the way. Can you believe I picked up this 04 with only 11,000 miles on it for 2000 cash?! Loving it so far!

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
Try contacting FP to see if they sell the jet kit alone without the Long Boy A/F screw. They used to sell it this way. Perhaps they will again. If you contact FP, please let us know what you find out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
709 Posts
Great looking bike! You'll love the FP3 kit and using glens a/f screw. It will take a few tries to get the bike where you need it to be, but it isn't near as hard or daunting of a task as it seems. I can't believe I waited as long as I did to decap the airbox and rejet.

Reactions: MAXloudchrome

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome. Did the pair valve mod today. Adjusted valves, and checked to see what jets were in the carb. So the guy before me did the airbox delete with hyper charger, v&h open pipes, and left the stock 195 Main and 55 pilot jets in. That explains why she runs like crap!
Took a crack at crafting my own plates for the PV mod. 9635674B-1ECC-4F85-ADEA-1EAD71513366.jpeg 60574B00-FB40-4FD5-AC3E-A0F9A471FB7C.jpeg

Thanks again for everyone’s input. I will order the carb parts tonight and post with an update as the project progresses. Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
Best kind of pair valve block off plates are the ones with the dimples in them so that you do not have to remove the reed valve screws. If you did not drill out dimples and had any fit problems, it was probably because of the reed valve screws.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya, tried to do that but drilled too shallow. Ended up removing screw and reed valve.
I picked up an '05 1300S with only 6k miles on her over the winter. I just recently did the pair valve mod, and added a cobra power flo intake. The bike already had vance and hines big shots, but had the donut mod. So I removed the 2 inch washers to open them back up. Bike sounds way better and finds idle much quicker, but it isn't super happy at low rpms. Taking it in next week to get jetted by my mechanic. What's the deal with this FP kit?

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
The Factory Pro jet kit is the one that is most often recommended for use on the VTX1300. It is much easier to tune well than the Dynojet kit. While there are a few folks who have reported success with the Dynojet kit, there are more who tried the Dynojet kit, could not get it to work, and then bought, installed, tuned, and were delighted with the FP jet kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPS says my FP kit will be here today. Couldn’t be more exited! Open to any input you guys have as to which setup to start with. After reading the “what affects what” thread, I think I’ll start with the #215 main, and #60 pilot. Still unsure as to needle position. Any input is welcomed.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
758 Posts
Here is my setup (dyno tuned with an exhaust sniffer), it gives a TON of power: (.5 for needle is a number 4 washer under the C-clip)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That’s awesome. Maybe I will start with that smaller Main. I’m at 5280ft here in Denver so that’s probably a good idea for me anyway.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
758 Posts
That’s awesome. Maybe I will start with that smaller Main. I’m at 5280ft here in Denver so that’s probably a good idea for me anyway.

Im around 100 ft in Long Island NY (and within 10 miles north or 10 miles south of the beach). So, it may not be the best tune for you, but worth a shot. Do you have the Glen's garage AF permanent tool? You will probably need it, if you don't.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Should be here Monday. Along with a little vacuum fitting that I broke during this assembly. I doubt I’ll be able to keep from fiddling with it over the weekend though. Good to know your altitude I’ll take that into account. I’ll see how she goes and post some updates.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
The A/F screw adjustment is the last one that is done in the tuning process so you can wait until Monday to install Glen's permanent A/F screw and finish the fine tuning of the slow/idle carb circuit.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts