Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
OK guys, I have resolved to take the carb apart and clean as previously discussed. In reading up on the various components of the carburetor, I come across the throttle position sensor. I wonder if this could maybe be an issue? I’m confused as to why carbureted bike has a throttle position sensor? If anybody knows anything please let me know. Thanks as always.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
759 Posts
I would assume it is used as part of the ECM's timing calculation.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
709 Posts
I’m at 5280ft here in Denver so that’s probably a good idea for me anyway.
I am in Morrison, so not far from you at all. I couldn't get the 58 pilot jet that FP provides to work every well. I ended up going back to the stock 55. I am running Samson pipes with a decapped stock air box and my set up is the 215 main jet, stock 55 pilot jet, needle on the 4th clip, and my A/F screw is at 2.5 turns. I feel the power is there at all speeds and elevation and can still get mid 40s for mpg. Did a Pike's Peak run last year and it performed really well at 14k feet minus a slight miss/stumble at idle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I am in Morrison, so not far from you at all. I couldn't get the 58 pilot jet that FP provides to work every well. I ended up going back to the stock 55. I am running Samson pipes with a decapped stock air box and my set up is the 215 main jet, stock 55 pilot jet, needle on the 4th clip, and my A/F screw is at 2.5 turns. I feel the power is there at all speeds and elevation and can still get mid 40s for mpg. Did a Pike's Peak run last year and it performed really well
at 14k feet minus a slight miss/stumble at idle.
Thanks so much for this post! Great to have another 1300 guy at my elevation. I’m gonna copy your set up & I’ll let ya know how it goes.

We’re around golden/Morrison frequently. If I can get it running maybe we do a ride sometime.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
709 Posts
Thanks so much for this post! Great to have another 1300 guy at my elevation. I’m gonna copy your set up & I’ll let ya know how it goes.

We’re around golden/Morrison frequently. If I can get it running maybe we do a ride sometime.
It took me a bit to come to that set up. Experienced the same issues you are describing, and it all seems to be on the money once I put the 55 back in. No more stumbling and like I said, power is at all throttle positions now. I still use 87 octane, but I think I could use 85 with no issues too given our elevation. @henkvdb and @SPARKY5151 are also fairly local to us. I plan on getting the bike out tomorrow given our sunshine has finally returned after 2 weeks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Yes, I am over all the snow and rain! Glen’s A/F screw was waiting in my mail box after work. I’m excited to check out the set up!

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
709 Posts
Copied the set up. Issues persist. I think something else might be wrong with the bike.
Check for vacuum leaks. The outside sheath of the tubes may look fine, but the rubber that compresses around the nipple may be cracked. Also wouldn't wouldn't hurt pull the carb apart and make sure nothing is gummed up

Reactions: MAXloudchrome

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Finally some success!

I ran new vac lines, put the #60 idle jet back on, took the hyper charger off and ran it with the bare carb hanging out.

Wow. No stumbling off idle, power through the entire rev range, and biggest difference is on top. Pulls to 105 easy and still pulling. So happy to finally have that breakthrough moment.

Tomorrow I’ll put the Hypercharger back on and hope that nothing changes. May reinstall the 58 idle, not sure yet. This thing finally feels like a motorcycle!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Yeah, changing three things at once may resolve the issue but you will never know which change accomplished what unless you do further experimentation.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts