Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts
Mine came as one piece and you had to cut it to length. If you increase the length it will give you a stiffer and more firmer ride and is really hard to install because you are physically compressing the spring spring to install the cap nut and the longer the harder it is going to do. Mine is at the shortest I could have my spacer. Some are just installing the stock spacers with good results.

Doug

Why would you cut the spacer? what dose this give you from the stock height
Mine came as one piece and you had to cut it to length. If you increase the length it will give you a stiffer and more firmer ride and is really hard to install because you are physically compressing the spring spring to install the cap nut and the longer the harder it is going to do. Mine is at the shortest I could have my spacer. Some are just installing the stock spacers with good results.

Doug
For some reason on my C the progressive springs made my front end feel very rigid and harsh which I hated!! (and it still sat to low in the front with me on it) I originally just used the factory spacers with the new springs so I went in and cut about 1" off them to soften it back up a little and as a bonus the caps are actually pretty easy to get back on now.

Then I added 2" fork extensions to bump the front end up a touch which actually makes it sit & ride level now. Which by luck also did away with almost 90% of the nose dive while stopping fast, and with the forks softer again it rides awesome now. Long story a little shorter... if I knew then what I know now I would have never bought the progressive springs and just went with the 2" extensions instead.

For some reason on my C the progressive springs made my front end feel very rigid and harsh which I hated!! (and it still sat to low in the front with me on it) I originally just used the factory spacers with the new springs so I went in and cut about 1" off them to soften it back up a little and as a bonus the caps are actually pretty easy to get back on now.

Then I added 2" fork extensions to bump the front end up a touch which actually makes it sit & ride level now. Which by luck also did away with almost 90% of the nose dive while stopping fast, and with the forks softer again it rides awesome now. Long story a little shorter... if I knew then what I know now I would have never bought the progressive springs and just went with the 2" extensions instead.
Doug - you can always put the stock spring back in but I think the front end will mush too much in the corners and also when stopping. The oil weight in the forks can also have a big effect in the front. I'd leave the progressive's in and get one of the $5 cheap pumps at harbor freight and remove the oil and experiment with different oil weight.
Doug to Doug lol - been wanting to do that.

Doug - you can always put the stock spring back in but I think the front end will mush too much in the corners and also when stopping. The oil weight in the forks can also have a big effect in the front. I'd leave the progressive's in and get one of the $5 cheap pumps at harbor freight and remove the oil and experiment with different oil weight.
Doug to Doug lol - been wanting to do that.
Yea, being I already bought them they are staying in for sure,lol I agree changing the oil weight would make a big difference but actually by cutting down the stock spacer and then adding the 2" extensions I am very happy how it handles now.

I really like the effect the extensions had on it, my front end has always sat way to low like the rear shocks were to tall but being I'm fairly tall I wasn't interested in lowering the back of the bike any. The extensions made it so when I'm sitting on it the bike is almost perfectly level and it handles much better that way.
(Don't forget I come from a crotch rocket background so I do love carving up some corners at speed:D)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.