Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the Trickle Charger the way it supposed to be used and attached the permanent battery connector with the plug in hanging just below my seat.

The unit come WITH regular MC battery cable clips. I understand that this is so you can plug the end of the regular cables to the Trickle Charger and and then clip those to ANY bike and charge it up over night.

But doesn't this invariably lead to the question as to whether you could carry the clip cables in your bags and then hook up the cable connectors to your permanent plug-in and then jump another bike or have that bike jump you?

·
Chi-Town Darksider
793 Posts
I believe so. I actually have huge saddlebags and keep the trickle charger in there just to be safe

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I have jumped the bike using the Alligator clamp extension cables provided with the Battery Tender Jr. I carry on the bike. Once on a 750 and once on the "X".

Done it on two occasions. The cables get real warm real quick. If the bike will jump start fairly quickly I see no problem. I don't believe a sustained grind on the starter would be not possible without damage to the cables but the quick starts should be successful. I know the cables are surely not designed to take this kind of surge but mine has handled it before. No noticeable damage. The clamps still had their spring and did not show any visible damage.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have jumped the bike using the Alligator clamp extension cables provided with the Battery Tender Jr. I carry on the bike. Once on a 750 and once on the "X".

Done it on two occasions. The cables get real warm real quick. If the bike will jump start fairly quickly I see no problem. I don't believe a sustained grind on the starter would be not possible without damage to the cables but the quick starts should be successful. I know the cables are surely not designed to take this kind of surge but mine has handled it before. No noticeable damage. The clamps still had their spring and did not show any visible damage.
+1 done it for a couple HD's

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
But doesn't this invariably lead to the question as to whether you could carry the clip cables in your bags and then hook up the cable connectors to your permanent plug-in and then jump another bike or have that bike jump you?
If I'm reading this right your looking to hook the cables that come with the charger to your perm mount to use as jumper cables for other bikes, if that is the case yes you can do that.

"However..." Always remember that when you hook the pigtail into your bike the polarity will be flipped on the clip end. Meaning the red clip would then be the negative lead and the black would be the positive lead.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
The wires I have on my battery for the Battery Tender may be a little small for jumping. I am sure you can do it but you may fry a wire. What you can do is just hook the wires to anotehr battery and let that charge your battery for a few minutes and the start your bike. If you really want to "jump" you should ahve a heavier cable then a charger/trickle wire.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You stand a good chance at blowing the little 7.5 amp fuze.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.