1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a ride!
temp is low 40s
roads are wet intermittent rain.

I was on a road on the out skirts of town maybe 3 miles out doing 55 mph per the speedo so around 50 actual come up to the entrance of the country club and there is a grange hall across from it having a crafts fair, there is a bridge being replaced just up the road and the speed drops to 45 so I am in 5th with just a little throttle to slow me down.

A car pulls out of the craft fair and heading opposite of me so that is good now the hairy part is there was a huge SUV right behind it and you got it the damn thing didn't even stop and shot out into the road to go into the country club driveway, I have 20 feet no time to think couldn't even hit the brakes, all I could do was a very hard right and hit the throttle as I straighten out I am looking at grill and can't even see over the top of it.

I don't know how I wasn't hit broad side but I made it by.
Now I know for a fact if I had hit the brakes I would have hit the SUV in the front quarter or even the door because 20 foot at 45 is just not enough room to stop.
I do know for a fact if I was running a bike tire in the rear I would have also lost control of the bike on the hard right move.

So to sum it up I am going to thank God and my decision long ago to go darkside for saving my butt today.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Dang Charlie, I am very glad the Angels' were looking out for you Brother :cheers: Good presensce of mind didn't hurt either. My Darkside has saved my butt a couple times, but nothing as scary as you described. :eek:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Glad to hear on this Thanksgiving weekend that you and us have something to be thankful for....Glad to hear you made it through okay.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Glad your quick reaction saved your butt Charlie!! That's the thing about this time of the year, most cagers are even less aware of us on two wheels, and especially with it officially being the holiday shopping season. Went out for a couple hours myself today and was looking out for cagers that werent looking for me, had several do the old "pull out of a shopping center oblivious to other traffic" in front of me.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Give God the glory and your angels for keeping you safe. And just like with my little accident 2 weeks ago, the darkside definitely helps grab the road and allow almost full control.

Glad you're OK. I did get mine back Wednesday and road for a couple hours. still cracked little toe, but I can still ride. It looks funny with the handicapped placard hanging from it when I'm shopping

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Don't you just love those situations where your total involvement in the decision making process on your course of evasive action is pure instinct and a physical reaction that is taken by your body that you can't even remember deciding on.

As I have said before in commenting on situations that I have been involved in, the human body and human brain are amazing things. With all of our "advanced" technology, our best efforts at simulating the human brain function are so feeble.

Thank goodness we have the Good Lord's computer creation to rely on. This is the computer that allowed Charlie D to make the decision to go Dark Side.

Glad you were able to save your own skin. Good ole Mother Natures 0's and 1's at work !!

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Between brain and evasive action kicking in was just milliseconds.

During the action all I saw was chrome tubes on the grill, like I said I don't know how I wasn't nailed broadside or at the least the back of the bike clipped.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Glad you came out ok Charlie, good reactions.
I know my Darkside has saved my but also.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I thought with a car tire on a motorcycle you could stop on a dimn with 8 inches of black ice on the road ! :mosh: Why did you have to swerve ?:hmm2: Must of been a harbor fright car tire !:banghead: But glade you made it no matter what kind on car tire you run !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts