Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2006 VTX1300R. This is my daily. Without prior indication of troubles, I got on the bike and started out to work. Can't get it to shift into 3rd. 1st is good, neutral is fine, 2nd is a little rough engaging, but it goes. 3rd will not happen. Parked it back in garage and took the car.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thank in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd start with general maintenance type stuff. The heel toe shifter can get gummed up on its peg. A little clean and re-grease will let you put hands on it to see if something worse jumps out at you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Na minha motocicleta tenho dificuldade de engatar a terceira marcha. Talvez porque é um acessório mais longo que o ordinal. Os pedais estão mais à frente. Mas com insistência, consigo engatar a terceira marcha com dificuldade

·
Super Moderator
10,466 Posts
I agree with Barlows. Many a shifting problem has been fixed by removing the shift linkage and cleaning the two heim joints and the pivot points. Try this first since it is a free fix and then go from there.

Reactions: Pedrobeca

·
Faith Fears Not
89 Posts
Hi,

2006 VTX1300R. This is my daily. Without prior indication of troubles, I got on the bike and started out to work. Can't get it to shift into 3rd. 1st is good, neutral is fine, 2nd is a little rough engaging, but it goes. 3rd will not happen. Parked it back in garage and took the car.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thank in advance.
I lost 3rd on my first VTX1300 one day and about 6 months later it started popping out of 4th too. So I just skipped 3rd and 4th and road it as a three speed for about 13 thousand miles and then my grandson put another 12 thousand on it before he was rear ended at a stop sign totaling it out. The only time I really missed having 3rd and 4th gears was in the mountains.

·
Super Moderator
10,466 Posts
Certainly not an ideal solution :) but one option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts