Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 07. I just turned 8000 on it. The guy I bought it from obviously didn't ride it. It has stock pipes and I can't afford to get after market right now so I was planning on pulling the baffles. Does anyone have a idea of what size valves should go in the carb.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
I am assuming that you mean jets in the carb. Modifying exhaust pipes or even replacing with after market pipes doesn't usually require re-jetting the carb! When you modify, de-cap or replace the air box with a more free breathing air box or air cleaner then you would probably need to re-jet the carb. Having said that, the VTX comes from the factory with a too small idle jet, so as to meet emission standards, this causes hard start issues when it is cold outside and needing to use the choke (actually an enricher which dumps raw gas directly into the carb causing plug fouling) to get the engine running. Regardless of wether you modify the air box or not I would suggest that you replace the existing idle jet with a # 58 idle jet which can be purchased from JetsRus.com!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am assuming that you mean jets in the carb. Modifying exhaust pipes or even replacing with after market pipes doesn't usually require re-jetting the carb! When you modify, de-cap or replace the air box with a more free breathing air box or air cleaner then you would probably need to re-jet the carb. Having said that, the VTX comes from the factory with a too small idle jet, so as to meet emission standards, this causes hard start issues when it is cold outside and needing to use the choke (actually an enricher which dumps raw gas directly into the carb causing plug fouling) to get the engine running. Regardless of wether you modify the air box or not I would suggest that you replace the existing idle jet with a # 58 idle jet which can be purchased from JetsRus.com!
Yes carb jets was what I was talking about and thank you I love to hear her rumble. When I bought my other vtx she already had vance and hinds pipes. This bike is all stock. If you have any suggestions I'm all ears

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And now that I think of it being that I'll be having more out flow I will have to decap the breather so I'll have more inflo. I haven't done much card work so what ever info you can give me would be appreciated. And I have been reading the stickys on it

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
"Carb & what effects what" is a great resourceful sticky. Same with "lean/rich carb adjustments". Your 1300 has a Keihin carb. Jetsrus as mentioned has the appropriate sized jets. Or you can get the Factory Pro Jet kit. Where are you located? Location/elevation plays a significant role in what jets are needed. It will take a bit of trial and error too. I think I had mine apart 2 or 3 times before finally settling on what I think is a good setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts