Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
that must be some helluva sight and sound too. Thanks for posting, i have never been able to be down in Canaveral around launch time. :(

Enjoy your Sunday
Bry

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Really cool pics. Especially like the one at Disney. Will be showing these to my daughter as she is really interested in the shuttle and upset about the current administration closing NASA.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really cool pics. Especially like the one at Disney. Will be showing these to my daughter as she is really interested in the shuttle and upset about the current administration closing NASA.
The decision to retire the shuttle was made years ago. They need to, these babies are getting old and not particularly safe. NASA is not closing, they are going to move on to exploration, which is what they should have been doing anyway. NASA has been nothing but a glorified taxi service for 30 years. When the new SPACEX FALCON 9 rocket gets going (we have launched 2), it will be much cheaper to get to the space station. We will be able to launch 9 FALCON 9 rockets for the cost of 3 Shuttles. NASA has great people and a new challange. They will be fine. Hopefully, we will get more companies like SPACEX here in the future. Which will mean more jobs here at the cape.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
bryanova, I grewup in Holbrook... let me rephrase that, I lived there till 3rd grade. Tuttle St. as I remember, can't for the life of me remember the Elem. school that I went to... want to say Grundy Elem school but not sure......... not that any of this matters in any way, shape, or form........just sharing, I'll shut up now

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Very cool! :mosh: Thanks :cheers:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
cool pics
yhanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I saw STS-3 go up. That was exciting. My dad worked at NASA @ Langley back when the Mercury program was going on. He had pictures of him with the group back then. When I watched the movie "The Right Stuff" and knew my dad was in the middle of all that. WOW! Always was interested in the journey to the moon and more. Great pictures. EVERYONE, if you ever get the chance to go to Cape Kennedy and watch a launch, you will ever remember it. Fantastic!!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Rocketman, very nice pics. I'm curious how you got that fourth one, are you some kind of astronaut?:hmm2:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rocketman, very nice pics. I'm curious how you got that fourth one, are you some kind of astronaut?:hmm2:
No, I am a civilian employee of the Air Force. The 45th Space Wing runs the Eastern Test Range. NASA is one of our customers. One of my NASA buddies sent it to me. I know I have some more at work. I will look for them and post them.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Soooo...do you think that you could get me a ride on the SPACEX FALCON 9 rocket?:icon_gigg

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
I moved to Florida as a kid in '86... got to see my first launch... it was horrifying.

Bad moment for my first, was one of the 'bridges'... locals know the one's that head to the cape, (528 for the 86 launch)...

Since then I've seen a few and grew up in the area... the windows would shake like a kid ran by and slammed them twice during middle and high school... locals knew it was just re-entry.

Central Florida definitely has a love affair with the Space Shuttle... and even though there are new ideas, and cheaper, they seem like going backward.

I think it's great private industry is moving into the space 'taxi' business... but NASA once was about exploration, and over the years has been pivotal in a lot of modern day technologies we take for granted.

I don't mean they're closing down NASA, but they are making it into a puppet of what it once was, and... many... people are losing their jobs.

Mort

·
Old Rider, newer VTX
185 Posts
I never got to a shuttle launch, but was at the launch of Apollo 12...VIP seating. The earth moved!!
I grew up in Bartow, Polk County. And, yeah, growing up in Central Florida, I had a craving for anything related to Cape Canaveral.
Thanks for posting the pics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts