Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used a car or square tire in a 1300, which one and size? I see some bikes out there with this awesome tires and living in South Florida (no curves to use the sides of the tires) I find myself getting new tire twice a year but the sides are completely new. So I though this could be a great solution for better grip on this long straight rides.

Great bikes in this forum .. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
OK, Ill bite.
205/70-15 is about the biggest you can go.
Never seen a square tire before.
You have more contact patch than a mc tire. We use them up here in the NW on the mountains and drag parts in the twisties just like the guys with the mc tires. The cruiser will only lean over so far, its not like its a c rocket.
Getting anywhere between 20 and 40k on the tires, but you have to remember to service the splines and check everything out in the back, about every 10k.
There are Darksiders forums also that you can go to and get all the info you need: http://www.mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It called riding on the Darkside. Do a search there is loads of info. I believe on the 1300's most run a 205/70-15. I'm considering trying a Michelin Hydroegde or Yokohama Avid-S this summer.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Just noticed you have a 18 also.
there is info for both.
They are also planning a Darksiders get together, in the mid part of the states. Twin 1300 in the state of LA. was the first in the USA on the 1300s and I was the 2nd, he bet me to it by about 2 weeks, and there has been alot of research since.
Its not for everyone, not everyone likes it, but I would say the 90 to 95% like it.

The 1800 were doing it before the 1300s

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I'd forget the square tire, trucks make some fairly good ruts in the roads, the curved sides will help get you out of them much better. Bikes tend to follow these ruts!!!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Not sure about the square one's but I'm thinking about trying some like these.

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
car tire on a bike:eek: it will definatly end in a giant ball of fire! thats as bad as using seafoam!

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
hey brother, you can go to the darkside as mentioned here. my question to you being a local here, is find out if there's a tire shop that will mount it for you, unless you have some equip and tools to do it yourself. if that's the case shoot me pm (private message on here) or let me know, and i can try to give you a hand. i've been entertaining the thought, but couldn't find a tire place, nor bike shop to mount tire for me. please keep us informed as to what you've decided and if you do it post a pic of your new car tire on the bike.

Yokohama Avids also the Michellin Hydroedge, Goodyear Triple Tread, seem to be the most popular. my understanding is that you can use a 205/70/15 without having to do any mods to the rear at all.

yes, you are getting ribbed a bit for the square tire comment. i would be doing the same, except i'm interested in any information about mounting you may find out local!!! every or at least a few people here know that i'm the most serious that has ever posted anything on here, promise, true true, :patriot:
;-D

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You can tell the shops that its for a drag bike and some will mount it.
I mount all my own and and a few others.
Also seal spoke rims.
I notice that you have spokes, if you go the the darksiders web site and go to 1300 tech and scroll down to sealing rims, you will see a write up I did on how to.
You can also pm me on any questions you have.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
This must be what the OP means....;)

hey bassdude, if i go with this model, do i need to do any mods what pressure should it be set at???:stirpot: and of course, if i go dark, can i run this type on my front also or they dont make them for the C model!!! it may help my wobble some, or at least, make it less noticeable :choppersm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just noticed you have a 18 also.
there is info for both.
They are also planning a Darksiders get together, in the mid part of the states. Twin 1300 in the state of LA. was the first in the USA on the 1300s and I was the 2nd, he bet me to it by about 2 weeks, and there has been alot of research since.
Its not for everyone, not everyone likes it, but I would say the 90 to 95% like it.

The 1800 were doing it before the 1300s
Thank you, yes I do a 1800 also and my question was actually for both, although mainly for the 1300, as you can see in the pictures she is my baby :)..

Main issue is that in the 1300 I have a 17" wheel in the rear .. kind of hard to get ANY tire around 200 in 17" ..

Thanks

I'd forget the square tire, trucks make some fairly good ruts in the roads, the curved sides will help get you out of them much better. Bikes tend to follow these ruts!!!
Very good point, thank you ..

What is a square tire????
According to some very FUN people here, they assume that square is the wheel base, to me is the part that touches (sits on) the road, giving more contact area than the normal round tire .. (not wheel) ..

You can tell the shops that its for a drag bike and some will mount it.
I mount all my own and and a few others.
Also seal spoke rims.
I notice that you have spokes, if you go the the darksiders web site and go to 1300 tech and scroll down to sealing rims, you will see a write up I did on how to.
You can also pm me on any questions you have.
Thanks for the offering.. no spokes in any of my bikes ..

Thank you..

yes, you are getting ribbed a bit for the square tire comment. i would be doing the same, except i'm interested in any information about mounting you may find out local!!! every or at least a few people here know that i'm the most serious that has ever posted anything on here, promise, true true, :patriot:
;-D
No problem.. .

Enjoy .. and have as much fun as you can .. at the end it's all we can do while we live..

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
200's will be motor cycle tires, Avon Cobras can be had in a 17. When using a car tire the 205/65R/17 is what your looking for and yes it will fit your bikes, either one of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts