Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

carb and what affects what

241K views 961 replies 123 participants last post by  Justplain_Duke 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What affects what in the carb of the 1300 VTX

There are 3 things to deal with and each affects the other in some small way.
  1. main jet
  2. pilot jet
  3. needle position
Let's start with the main as it is the easy one:

Selecting a proper main jet is sometimes hard for some so some tips for doing it properly. The first thing you need to do is give an educated guess or just toss a 215 in for trial, now you want the bike up to temp about an 8-10 mile ride then get the rpm up around 3500 you don't have a tach. so let's say 45 in second gear roll on the throttle and pay attention to how the rpm reacts it should be a good steady strong pull right up to the rev limiter if it is sluggish at the start and gets better as the rpm builds you have 1 size too large in and if it stops building good power before the limiter you may be 1 size too small.

The next step is the needle position if you are running an aftermarket needle it has grooves and your clip should start at the 3rd position from the blunt end if running the stock needle leave it as it is NO SHIMS yet. Now you take it out for the 8-10 mile warm up and now you want to be in 4th gear doing around 50 roll on the throttle hard if it bogs down then takes off and build good rpm your needle is too high if it hesitates (stutters) your needle is too low. If too low which will be 90% of the time add 1 shim this should be around .025 thickness give or take a little, now go and do the same test, and repeat till you have what you like, with after-market needle you would remove the shim and move the clip (the shim is about half a clip position).

Now on to the pilot jet, every VTX from the factory is very lean on the bottom end so you should start with the 58 if running a heavy breather you should have a 60.
the start point for the setting of the idle drop is

1. 55 jets should be around 2 1/2 (stock box)
  2. 58 jets should be around 2 (Spyker mod or decap with K&N)
  3. 60 jets should be around 1 3/4 (Hyper, BAK, Ashford, Doug's,.......) all heavy breathers

Now you get the bike up to full temp again then set the idle up to around 1000 and it is going to sound fast, you will now blip the throttle a little and it should return to 1000 without hanging or dropping from your 1000 initial setting, if it drops below you are rich if it hangs up you are lean.

Ok, now you have some base points to work from!

Review
  • The main jet is from 3500 rpm up to the red line (Speed limiter)
  • Needle position is from 2500 to 3500 rpm
  • Pilot jet handles from 900 to 2500

Some of the main problems we face are lean surging at cruise this is due to the pilot jet is too small and at most cruise speeds 55-65 we are in the 2500 rpm range and what I see 90% of the time raises the needle or open the A/F neither will work 100% of the time and we end up chasing our tails.

When you open the A/F up above what it should be for the idle drop is run rich at idle then you hit around 1500 rpm and you are once again in the lean stage so what do you do well we raise the needle to compensate and this once again puts us back to a rich state till we get up to around 3000 rpm.

So in a sense, we just try to cover up and say all is right.
  • If you want the best low-end torque for low speed you need the correct pilot jet
  • If you want the cruise speed surging gone again the pilot jet
  • If you want the best acceleration at cruise for passing you need the needle position correct
  • And last if you like high-speed power to the top you need the best main jet.
I have found settings I love to run like full-on power right to the top starting at 30 mph in 5th gear but I hated the 30-32 mpg so I compromise and get 38-40 and still have great power.

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome!! Good article with a lot of good information!!

#15 ·
thats awesome charlie! Where can i get the #60 Pilot? can you post the link up?

#18 ·
I have a local (all brands) bike shop that found 2 of the 60 pilots in the USA so I got one of them I think it came out of Texas, (it cost me a whopping $8.50 delivered) dealer charged me $13 for the 58.

You may be able to order one direct from Factory-Pro.

#16 ·
+1000 for sticky
This brief post nailed down whats wrong with my low speed throttle response.. can't wait to adjust my carb.
Thanks CharlieD

Reactions: et13
#17 ·
Thanks CharlieD for putting this together...

I just want to add to all this...
I've been chasing my tail for a while and it always seemed that I was running rich with poor mileage (33-36) no matter what i did. Turned out to be the choke (enricher) was sticking open as Charlie has mentioned before. Slapped a stronger spring in there and now I'm up to 42 highway and 46 cruising around 45 mph steady. Make sure you check the choke so its not hanging up it drove me nuts for good long time.

#22 ·
thanks charlie for the write up. after you answered several of my questions, this write up is great!

i 2nd the idea that there should be a link to this in the common Q&As and should become a sticky. its an important part of bike that is going to need adjustments sooner or later.

#27 ·
Many new 1300 owners since I posted this

Doing a bump for some of the new owners

I do have a few things that I have changed since I did this write up but for the most part it all still applies.

#30 ·
Thank you very much, carb tuning has always been one of those skills that takes alot of experience and know how, it has also been one of those things that not many know how to do properly. Thanks again for explaining something that has always been a mystical thing that I dont know much about.

#31 ·
:cheers: Thanks for sharing all this info which I can't hardly wait to get into. Need a set of pipes first. OJT always sticks with u. Thanks again Charlie.
:patriot: tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.