Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Awesome and thanks for those pictures and info. What can you use to cover it from heavy downpours? Like most of those big air kits being a rain guard? Not sure if that crossed you minds! You guys have seemed to already thought about every angle
Yup, I was concerned about it at first but figured I'd just see how it reacted in rain and go from there. I have been in some pretty heavy rain and it's never had any effect on it at all.
The only time I used to cover mine is when it would be parked outside when it might rain, and thats only because of the way it leans left on the stand.
But... I don't even do that anymore because, it's really not needed because of the way the rubber boot and filter is designed the water can not run straight into the carb.

I got a question about the Spectre air filter elements...Now I know it's an oiled filter, like a K&N filter element...So that keeps water out while still being able to breathe...But I have a blue filter, and my K&N recharge kit has red filter oil...Do they make some clear filter oil so my blue filter doesn't turn purple when it gets dirty and needs cleaning/re-oiled??...:hmm2:

I got a question about the Spectre air filter elements...Now I know it's an oiled filter, like a K&N filter element...So that keeps water out while still being able to breathe...But I have a blue filter, and my K&N recharge kit has red filter oil...Do they make some clear filter oil so my blue filter doesn't turn purple when it gets dirty and needs cleaning/re-oiled??...:hmm2:
Yes, they have a recharge kit that has clear oil just for that reason. Any Autozone or Advanced Auto will have them, I think they are right around $13 dollars. I've had mine on it for almost two years now and it still doesn't need to be cleaned, but I might do it this spring just because.
(Or... you could just toss in another $10 and get a new one and just swap it out and not have to mess with cleaning & re-oiling it, :D)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-cleaner-and-filter-oil?itemIdentifier=629820

Discussion starter · #25 ·
get the spectre recharge kit it comes with clear oil and a separate dye pack. you dont have to use the dye

if you want the cover pm me your address and ill send it

Discussion starter · #28 ·
are you asking how the adapter mounts to the carb

Yup, right about 2 months after I posted pics of the one I made in 11/09... LOL
The main difference between the two is the one I made is a two piece design that has an attached collar that still uses the rubber boot on the filter vs removing the collar and bolting it to the back of the filter itself.

But... neither of us was the first one to use the spectre filter on a VTX by any means, there was already a few guys using them. I liked the look of the filter but I just didn't like the idea of using some glued plastic or a PVC pipe end cap as the mount so I made one with steel then switched to aluminum after people started asking me to make them one.

Edit: If anyone is going to try their hand at making one, the biggest tip I can offer is that you don't want to make the filter centered on the carb. It has to be offset below the carb throat at least a 1/2" so it will clear the tank, if you center it it will rub on the tank seam. Keeping the rubber boot on the filter also helps bump it out a touch to help clear the tank, but it's still only about a 1/2" further out than the stock airbox cover was.

Doug, you're a good man for telling a tip or two.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
i do want everyone to know i didnt post this so people could use it just for the spectre filter. to be honest i would rather have doug's setup do to how often i had to take the filter off. i posted the carb bore drawing so if someone needed to make and adapter for any filter

i do want everyone to know i didnt post this so people could use it just for the spectre filter. to be honest i would rather have doug's setup do to how often i had to take the filter off. i posted the carb bore drawing so if someone needed to make and adapter for any filter
Ok, maybe I missed Doug's filter but I thought the specter filter was a good idea. I thought you were going to finish with the how to.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
My buddy has an extra spike air cleaner off of their Big Dog... This could be my ticket to making it work on my bike! Sweet!

Discussion starter · #35 ·
My buddy has an extra spike air cleaner off of their Big Dog... This could be my ticket to making it work on my bike! Sweet!
glad it may help you if you have questions let me know

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.