Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2005 VTX 1300.

Bike sat for over a year.

Brought it home. Drained the gas. Sprayed the carb with carb cleaner.

The bike started but the carb was dumping fuel out of the small holes at the bottom left of the carb.

Immediately started looking for online help and found this great site.

What next to fix my problem?

·
Registered
743 Posts
It's going to really be gummed up after sitting that long. Probably a stuck float and needle. The best thing you can do is to take it apart, soak it in carb cleaner, wash it out, blow it out and put in new seals. PM me, if you'd like.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Welcome to the cafe from Moyock, NC. We've got a few carb/tuning guru's here, I'm sure they will be along soon to help you out. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to give advice on the subject.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The carb is leaking from the brass hole on the bottom left of the carb air intake.

Do I have to remove the carb completely from the bike to clean it?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
bottom left face of the carb opening.

you can just pull loose from the boot and loosen the 17mm nut behind the choke knob then the cable slides loose.

rock and tug the carb and it will come free from the boot you then can tilt up to get to the float bowl screws.

sounds like the jets are plugged up and you need to pull them and clean, also spray carb cleaner in all openings let sit and then do again a air supply is good to blow out in between spraying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts