Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. To start with, I just got the bike, and it's been sitting for 3 years. I know the providence of the bike. My wife's uncle purchased it brand new and put 63k on it before he passed a few years ago. The bike was always meticulously maintained. Has Vance and hines pipes, a K&N air filter, and a bunch of chrome goodies and aftermarket parts. Not sure if anything was done to the jets in the carb with the new pipes and air filter.

Since it was sitting for 3 years, I replaced the plugs, drained the gunk out of the tank, and did a basic cleaning of the carb. At first, it would start and idle, but only with the choke on. No fuel was.coming from.accelerator pump, and no fuel from the main jet.

Dropped the bowl, pulled the jets and cleaned them (they were completely blocked) and cleaned up the diaphragm and accelerator pump. Now It runs and performs ok (I think, its my first VTX so I dont have a reference point for power) up until about the last 1/4 of throttle. I cant replicate the problem unless I'm riding and under load since it only occurs approaching full throttle. When I go to full throttle, the engine stumbles and misses, feels like fuel starvation. I slowly reduce the amount of throttle and once I reach a certain point around 3/4 throttle it starts running and pulling fine again. I have tried it at different loads and different RPM's and it's always about the same result. I have run 2 tanks of gas through it now with heavy amounts of seafoam to help break down any remaining sludge etc. I havent seen a remarkable difference yet.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2005 vtx 1300
15 Posts
I am pretty new to my 05 1300 as well. I bought it and it had been sitting for a while. At first, it would only start and idle with choke. A deep carb clean was needed for mine. Also, I might check the air/fuel mixture screw maybe vacuum hoses. Maybe some dry rotting had begun from sitting. I'm not actually sure if there is a fuel filter (I'd assume there is) but anything fuel or air is probably the culprit. In my novice opinion, of course.

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
There are lots of things to check. They include vacuum lines (connections and cracking), carb main rubber diaphragm for proper installation and cracks, carb deep cleaning, two fuel filters (one inside tank on inlet stem of petcock and one at carb fuel inlet), carb tuning, and petcock functioning (vacuum lines and diaphragm).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Headed to the stealership to purchase the filters in the tank and carb and a few other odds and ends. I'll check the vacume tubes while I'm at it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a similar issue with a 2007 vtx I just bought. It had not run for a number of years and it was running really rough, and wanted to run for a long time on choke. I ran a bunch of seafoam through it and it got much better, but when I took it to the interstate to checkout full throttle acceleration it started vibrating so bad I felt like I was loosing traction on the front tire. It initially responded so well to the seafoam, I did another tank of seafoam at highway speed. Amazingly the problem went away. I'm guessing I had a spark plug dropping out under load. Looking at the design Honda went with 2 plugs per cylinder and calls for spark plug change out every 8,000 miles. It appears they delivered the bike with hot plugs and recommend you run one step cooler if you run a lot of highway miles. All of this leads me to believe incomplete combustion will be a problem if your riding tends to foul plugs. The good thing is with good plugs it runs great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, finally an update.

I pulled the peacock out of the tank and the inlet filter in the carb. Both fine. Pulled the carb apart again, discovered that it had undergone the scar mod sometime earlier in its life. And was able to confirm a 195 main jet. Can't read the other one. There was a bunch of shoddy wiring associated with aftermarket light bar and some other accessories that I had to spend a few days cleaning up, and I decided to do the pair mod so that I had more room for the new wiring. Noticed a few dried out cracks in some of the vacuum lines, so I replaced them all.

Put it all back together, and now it pulls hard all the way to the limiter without the starvation. Feels a little rich to me now, so I'm going to pull the plugs after a tank of gas and take a look. Also feels just a little weak from idle to moving. Like I have to give it too much throttle to keep it from stalling until about 5 miles an hour...I think it should have more torque than that if tuned properly.

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
Sounds like your bike is doing great. Congrats. What remains is fine tuning. You can get a Factory Pro jet kit and go through the tuning process to make it run perfectly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts