Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed already, I’m just looking for a starting point so I don’t have to remove the carb a lot. Recently purchased a Cobra Speedster Slashdown Exhaust, Cobra PowerFlo intake, and a DJ Stage 1 jet kit. Installed all last night. Bike does not want to run well. I shunned the needle at the 4th setting, have the 200 main jet in, and A/F mixture screw at 3.5 turns out. I’m sure this is overkill and I’ve really screwed something up here. I know the DJ jet sizes are different in comparison to the regular jet sizes. Any help here would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
Good luck tuning the carb with the Dyna Junk kit!!! If you ask a consensus of the Cafe members you will find about 10 to 1 favor the Factory Pro kit, stage 1 or stage 3 kits, both are actually basically the same. I installed the Factory Pro kit with the Glen's VTX Garage remote A/F screw and hit the correct setup on the first try and only had to tweak the A/F screw about a quarter turn. The Dyna Jet kit is notoriously hard to tune!!!! I will give you the tune I used but it probably won't help you much because, as you said in your post the DJ jets are a different size and the needle taper is completely different (and IMHO this is the biggest flaw with the DJ kit). My settings with the Hard Chrome Velocity two into one pipes and an Aries-1 Ram air induction cover (custom made by a member on here) is:
58 Idle Jet, 220 Main Jet, Factory Pro needle set to 3 1/2 clip from the blunt end (that's 3rd clip with 1 shim washer), A/F screw 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. I hope that this helps you out,.........................but I doubt it!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck tuning the carb with the Dyna Junk kit!!! If you ask a consensus of the Cafe members you will find about 10 to 1 favor the Factory Pro kit, stage 1 or stage 3 kits, both are actually basically the same. I installed the Factory Pro kit with the Glen's VTX Garage remote A/F screw and hit the correct setup on the first try and only had to tweak the A/F screw about a quarter turn. The Dyna Jet kit is notoriously hard to tune!!!! I will give you the tune I used but it probably won't help you much because, as you said in your post the DJ jets are a different size and the needle taper is completely different (and IMHO this is the biggest flaw with the DJ kit). My settings with the Hard Chrome Velocity two into one pipes and an Aries-1 Ram air induction cover (custom made by a member on here) is:
58 Idle Jet, 220 Main Jet, Factory Pro needle set to 3 1/2 clip from the blunt end (that's 3rd clip with 1 shim washer), A/F screw 2 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. I hope that this helps you out,.........................but I doubt it!!!
Do you have a part number for the factory pro kit?

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
Do you have a part number for the factory pro kit?
The kit is the H80-3.0 kit. Go to:

At the top of the page towards the left side of the page you will see "Online Sales" in Red with an arrow pointing to it.
Click on that and in the middle of the next page at the top you will see, Continue On To Online SALES, which will also have red arrows pointing at it.
At the next page there is a box that says Click on Manufacturer, Click on Honda and it will take you to the Honda section. Continue to scroll down quite a ways watching the left side column until you come to VTX 1300, look across the page there and it will say "H80-click here" when you are on that last page scroll down watching the bigger box on the right to where it says "The Internet's #1 Stage 3 choice. And there you have it!!!!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,076 Posts
3.5 turns out you need to make sure it hasn't fallen out. Too far.
200 DJ is 228 Keihin. Which means you're probably very rich right now.

You can use the DJ but just mind the chart. Needle is different than the FP needle but you can still make it work.

Follow the carb tuning guide and keep in mind you started with 190/195 Keihin jet so adjust your DJ size accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
3.5 turns out you need to make sure it hasn't fallen out. Too far.
200 DJ is 228 Keihin. Which means you're probably very rich right now.

You can use the DJ but just mind the chart. Needle is different than the FP needle but you can still make it work.

Follow the carb tuning guide and keep in mind you started with 190/195 Keihin jet so adjust your DJ size accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I bought my 2007 1300C in 2011, I bought the Dynojet kit before I knew any better. I agree that it’s easier to get good results with the factory pro jet kit and I would have started with that had I known better. You can get good results with the DJ kit, but you had better know carburetors well and be prepared for a lot of experimentation. The jet equivalent chart from the previous post would have been very valuable to me earlier on. This is what has worked for me at my altitude (2500 ft.).

The Dynojet instructions start you out way lean off idle and way rich on the high rpm range. They don’t include a pilot jet with their kit and tell you to open the idle mixture up way too rich to make up for the #55 pilot that came stock in your almost too lean to be rideable carb. I’ve tried a #58 and 60, and found the 58 is a good compromise. The leanest jet that came with my kit was a 185, which is roughly equivalent to a keihin 208; a little richer than I wanted, but it pulls hard to the rev limiter without choking out, which happened on their base recommendation. It also fell flat on it’s face with the clip on the #3 slot on their needle. So for me, DJ185 main, #58 pilot, clip on #4 slot with a .020” washer under the clip, and idle screw out 2 turns works for me. The lighter diaphragm spring that comes with the DJ kit is great to use even if you abandon the DJ kit altogether.

Another configuration that worked well for me was the scar mod. I used the original needle with 2- .020” shims under the needle, a 200 keihin main jet, #58 pilot and 2 turns out on the idle screw. It didn’t pull quite as hard to the rev limiter as with the DJ setup above, but fuel economy was a bit better.

By the way, I run stock pipes and mufflers, but used a K&N filter with an opened up air box (decapped as some here call it). Start with a clean carburetor and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts