Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a buddy ask me this question.
can these bikes be started by coasting and catching it in gear
like we used to do with our old dirt bikes??
i dont have a clue if it could be done or not!!
my guess would be no but i'm not sure.
anyone ever try this??

·
Registered
118 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe most standard shift vehicles can be bump started if you can get them rolling. You just have to find the right gear so you roll the motor over rather than drag the rear tire...I am thinking 3rd on an X.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
It can be done. I have seen and have had to do it to my bike. It takes a bout three big guys to get the heavy bike rolling fast enough.

Donut/Doug/Vet:patriot:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I've always found that using second or third gear helps a lot to, trying to push start a bike in first takes a lot more speed to get it to turn over without just locking up the rear wheel.

Is that just with the 1300's? I always figured my 1800 wouldn't roll start because of the FI.
It'll work on all bikes, as long as the key on it doesn't matter which method you use to turn the engine over.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've stalled rounding a corner in first and popped the clutch, mistake, the rear tire locked up like Doug said and damn near tossed me. Couple of times again bike stalled, i either shifted fast to 3d and popped clutch or just grabbed clutch, coasted to stop and re started. These stalls went away after some good scar mod and glen's a/f tool.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Left my key on in the mountains when we were just stopping and taking pictures. This one stop we were there quite a while. Bike dead as dead could be. Luck have it I was parked on a steep grade. All I had to do was get it rolling and it fired right up. A weak battery at Spoilers left me in the same situation and I was able to get it rolling fast enough to jump start it in 3rd. May not have worked if it was a Blue Bike though.....:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Needed to do this at one time and tried it initially in 1st. I hurt parts of myself. Bike was ok. Reattempted in 2nd and turned the motor over. Jumped on and off I went. Wouldn't want to do it again though.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Never thought about it on the X. I assumed it could as I've done it to my Ducati more than once. I hadn't been riding it much and the battery just wasn't getting charged. Bought a tender for it so that problem is gone.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The one and only time I have had to switch to reserve I was doing about 80 on the hiway and the bike just shut off. I reached down and switched to reserve and she started right back up. So, in a way I have jump started too but in 5th gear. Had to wonder if that's bad on the engine. I always thought it was supposed to stutter and give a little bit of warning.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just a quick pointer. If ya need to boost the battery for a quick start, just pull the right side cover, pull the rubber boot away from the solenoid and hook the jumper cable to the right (forward) post and the ground any ol' where on the frame or pegs.

Lot simpler than pulling the seat, the ecu, the battery cover......

If boosting from a car (truck, whatever) do not have that vehicle running. Not real nice to have that much charge going into your bike.

Wren

1 - 16 of 16 Posts