Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 1800C
I'd like to do periodic maintenance on the bike and include changing out the fork oil. but I don't need new seals and don't want to put myself to a lot of work for what should be a simple task. My Honda scooter has a drain plug in the bottom and a fill plug at the tree, and 5 minutes later its super easy. Doesn't look like the VTX1800C with its inverted forks is going to be easy. I read through all the searches. One person mention inserting a small tube on a syringe from the top and sucking the oil out. Then just pouring new oil in. That sounds much easier than removing the forks and gravity draining them.

anyone have more info on the exact procedure.

Also, from the search there was a lot of discussion about the progressive springs being changed out to improve performance. then I read somewhere that Honda went to a progressive spring in 2006. Then I read from a 2006 owner that wasn't true. Anyone know if the 2006 VTX1800C has progressive or straight springs, and if changing them to aftermarket makes a significant improvement. If yes, whose spring to buy.

thanks

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
how many miles are on the bike ?

YES, not easy to change just the oil.
you know all the crap is at the bottom.. you can not remove most of it with vacuum..

Progressive Brand for the springs..
my understanding is the "F" is the only 1800 with progressive type of springs.

seals dry rot faster then wear out.. plus the bushings wear faster then the seals.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bike has 15K miles on it. Garage kept. Seals look good and no leaks. Thought if there was an easy way to purge out the old oil every couple of years it would help.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I've seen posts saying you can insert a tube into the fork from the top and vacuum the old oil out but for the life of me I can't figure out how anyone could get a tube past the counter spring in the left fork. Do yourself a favor, put the bike up on a stand , take the front wheel off, take the forks off and turn them upside down into a catch pan. Sounds like a lot of work but trust me, that's a whole lot easier then trying to vacuum them out. A couple off tips... loosen the caps before you remove them from the trees. Flush them out good with ATF and remember the left is different from the right and they don't take the same amount of oil.
As too your other question about the springs. I put Progressive springs in my 06 C several years ago and honestly couldn't tell all that much difference. Later I found out that Honda had upgraded the stock springs with the 05 and up model. They didn't start using Progressive springs, just a little stiffer ones. At least that's what I'm given to understand. However you can look at Progressive's web site and see that they only offer springs for the 02 through 04 models.

·
Registered
15,868 Posts
2006 1800C
I'd like to do periodic maintenance on the bike and include changing out the fork oil. but I don't need new seals and don't want to put myself to a lot of work for what should be a simple task. My Honda scooter has a drain plug in the bottom and a fill plug at the tree, and 5 minutes later its super easy. Doesn't look like the VTX1800C with its inverted forks is going to be easy. I read through all the searches. One person mention inserting a small tube on a syringe from the top and sucking the oil out. Then just pouring new oil in. That sounds much easier than removing the forks and gravity draining them.

anyone have more info on the exact procedure.

Also, from the search there was a lot of discussion about the progressive springs being changed out to improve performance. then I read somewhere that Honda went to a progressive spring in 2006. Then I read from a 2006 owner that wasn't true. Anyone know if the 2006 VTX1800C has progressive or straight springs, and if changing them to aftermarket makes a significant improvement. If yes, whose spring to buy.

thanks
Whats your location? A spring-time Tech session is the best time to get it done: Being with new friends, fellas who've done it before, show you how to do it, and do the labor for free. All it costs you is your time to get there and fuel, parts like new springs & seals , bushings if needed. Since you have it apart, why not change the seals and bushings (only use Honda OEM) then forget about it? Peace of mind. Kinda like changing a cam, you change the lifters and rockers at the same time, and they all work together for the better. You can play around with the fork oil viscosity too. 10W is stock, but some have gone as high as 20W. When Silver and Ironmk helped me change mine, we mixed equal parts 10W and 15W for a net of 12.5W. Figure 2-3 hrs. for total job.

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts
That drain plug at the bottom that you referred to is not really a drain plug but is the Fork Center Bolt. It is not there specifically to drain the oil but rather to hold the fork piston in place, hence the instruction in the service manual that states "If the fork piston turns with the center bolt, temporarily install the fork spring, spring seat, spacer and fork cap." That loads the interior components in compression which (hopefully) will allow you to break that fork center bolt loose from the piston!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts
If you are serious about changing the ride characteristics of the front suspension consider rebuilding the front forks with Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators and Race Tech Springs. The difference is night and day, the emulators turn the front forks into shock absorbers that work both in compression and extension! You can find more information in the thread below!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts